Sponsors

Bob "jigger"Mann

EVENTS_ATTENDED_IN_2006_and_RECHEDULED_FOR_2007.doc :Gonefishing:

Guys I need some advise. I have two good possible sponsors I am working on. Had lunch with them. I have a really nice portfolio and my 2007 schedule is set 4 sports shows in Michigan and 3 in Windsor area. Give number of people that attend these events every year and a list of tournament I am doing. Seems like it's always one more sit down B4 they make a move. What can I say or do to take it to the bank.

Jigger

Bob Mann :worthy::dunno:

Promote and sell. If it is a fishing tackle sponsor, these are the two fundamental keys for any sponsor of substance. And forget thinking cash..... 95+% of the times (assuming you are based in Canada), product and discounts and an expectation to provide support is a must to be taken seriously.

This sounds simple, yet I see too many people wanting to be connected to the business, yet have nothing to bring to the table. Trade show and dealer support is a start, as are demonstrating how your skills can assist (casting or catching a few fish means little; making fishing fun and selling at a trade show is what most companies that actually use promotional support staff want). If one thinks that showing a sticker or a shirt is their idea of advertising support for any possible sponsor....think again. If you have a bit of HONEST knowledge (no Bull) when you meet with a possible sponsor, this can help as can a true interest in the company and learning about what products they offer. Finally, if one is not personable, you will not get anywhere.

You might want to consider a skill based resume format, accompanying possible schedules. I hope you do not find this too harsh. Never think this can be an American style full time gig, as there are only a true handful in Canada that make the grade, including some with perceived higher profiles. Canada is a small market with generally smaller budgets compared to the US.

Just a few ideas.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

Next time during the meeting prearrange to have someone call on yer celphone. Fake like it's the bigshot Jumla Predident or someone and say stuff like... " Ya I'm taking your 21 ft Ranger console offer, not the stinkin tiller one" and just before you fake like yer hangin up, say something like "Ya, OK you can tell Linder and Babe I'll do their shows.... but they'll pay more this time!"

JK! :D

Good luck. Do charity work and tellem about it.

Edited by cisco

Hey Bob,

Thought I'd throw in my two cents, as I'm in the same boat as you, so to speak..

I presently have two sponsors - HT Enterprises and Fin-tech. Been with HT for a few years now, and recently signed on with Fin-tech. First and foremost, you must believe in a product before representing them. I hear of too many people willing to wear shirts, decals and promote a product that they know is garbage, just so they can say they are sponsored. Never a good idea.

As most have mentioned, you have to show a company what you can honestly and truely do for them. By taking you on as staff, they want to make sure that their revenue goes up. Bottom line. Trade shows are an excellent start. You truly have to be a people-person. If you can't communicate with folk, you are not going to represent the company well. Being outgoing and friendly is paramount.

I feel that there is a shift beginning in the sponsorship game. Years back they were fairly easy to come by. Nowadays, you really have to work for them. And fishing a few tournaments here and there just doesn't cut it anymore. You definitely need to branch out. I'm lucky that I am an outdoor writer/photographer first and foremost. Being a Field Editor for OOD also helps tremendously. Companies realize the effect the internet and print media has on buyers, and if you can work well in this media, things can really look up for you.

Case in point. I do a lot of reports on numerous fishing sites. Very detailed, showing what lures, lots of images. Some of these reports get 1000+ views. Now that is certainly promotion for a company you are involved with. I also write a monthly newletter article for this site - again, promotion. Get a pic of your companies product or a mention in a mag like OOD - 90,000 readers will see that. Again, excellent promotion. Write for the American sites, such as BPS etc......promotion. Now, I am not saying that everyone can enter the writing field, but I believe it has become part and parcel or sponsorship deals. If an angler never makes it to the podium that has a crest or sticker on his shirt, yet another guy has promoted their product to upwards of 150,000 people (above scenerio), which do you think looks best? Photography is also a huge deal. I always send my sponsors a disc at the end of the season filled with images. In HT's case, they used some of these images for retailer mailouts, and national advertising campaigns. For Fin-tech, I just shot images for their next catalouge. This season I plan on producing video tips...just another wrinkle in what I can do for them.

Seminars, appearences, guiding etc. are also part and parcel of the game.

As for monetary gains - not many companies operate like this from the start. They don't want to sink money into you until you can prove your worth. Yes, you will get oodles of goodies, shirts, hats, decals etc. at the beginning. Depending on what you can do for that company, that may be all you ever get. Go above and beyond their expectations, and hopefully their is a payout in the near future.

As someone stated, Canada is different from the States. The budgets just aren't as big here as down south. But they are their for the taking. You just have to figure out how to present yourself slightly different from the hundreds of other guys that are also gunning for that same deal.

Hope this helps a bit..

Good Fishing,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Myself I have some local Barrie sponsors.Most of them I deal with each week and have known thwm for years.I dont ask for much from them,but I usually get alittle extra.I put thier names on my boat and truck.Very little to pay for the money I recieve from them.Entry fees and gass are what I ask for.

The company I work for sponsored me this past season and also for next.Plus they paid for the boat decal.

sponsors005.jpg

Make sure of one thing,the sponsors you get are on the same page. I lost one for next year,but it was in my best interest to do so in my opinion.

Hers something I just posted on another thread... but mishfish said it best... make sure you are on the same page... and that ALL rexpectations are clear..

In thier defense... they get attacked so much by people wanting sponsorships that they can't please anybody and unless your a big name they really have no way to tell if you are for real or not..

Last year I when I was at the show, I approached a couple of larger companies and was SHOCKED at how I was treated by them.. I mean its one thing to say "were not interested" but a couple of these guys were really rude... and I do know they are busy at the show... but thats where business is done!

Lets let it be said that I dont run around after "sponsorships" any more. Any deals I make are with people who already know who we are and what we do so there is really no selling to be done...

I have done some advertising for some poepl who did call me back after the fact (a couple of years later) who actually apologized for blowing me off... LOL

When I make fishing reports.. I try to show as much of the "sponsors" info as possible Northamfishing was really good with us and when I found good lure that was working... man i really pushed it and wound up doing a Due North episode with it.. that wasnt part of the deal, but what goes around comes around..

http://www.ontariofishingreels.com/duenorthepisode7.html

Like I said.. after my episode at the Fishing Show.. I gave up running after advertisers and sponsors.. the ones who know about us are more than willing to offer up for contests prizes... and help with all our fundraising when it happens.. its kinda nice to be getting the name recognitions now.. but with sponsors you have to be careful... if you sign on.. there are expectations!!

Sometimes.. its not worth what they are giving you for the grief you may get...