Dont mean to be a Nag!!!!!!!!!

BITEME

Okay Boys and Girls

I dont know how many of you are aware but a tragity took place on the weekend

Im not going to go into details but here is the long and short of it

A man drowned while enjoying a great Canadian pastime on Saturday a call went out that a boat had been reported adrift in Lake Ontario(12 Miles Out off Bronte). This means no Occupant!!!!! boat was under power when discovered. The occupant was discovered a few hours later no life jacket and floating.

People if you are out on the Lake solo wear a life jacket and run a tether to your kill switch there is a good chance this could of turned out different if these 2 simple things were done!!!!!!!!!

The water was cold 62 degrees not alot of chance to survive if you have to worry about floating as well.

Rest in Peace friend!!!!!!

My condolences to family and friends

Well said Peter if you read my report I was solo this weekend and was wearing my PFD when I flipped my 12 ft tinny.Maybe I wouldn't be here if I had not put it on .Just a note my head never went under water. ya it was hot at times but I grinned and beared it.When I was hot I went for a boat ride this cooled me down.Beleive me folks it happened very fast I did not have my kill switch on my wrist and for now on I will.My boat sped up as I was falling circling me at one point I thought of the prop cutting me.Luckily I managed to grab the kill switch witch is now at the bottom of the lake.I also wear my PFD in my 18ft boat at all times big boat small boat as Peter says please wear your PFD.This weekends experience opened my eyes to the danger of water.There is a new self inflating automatic model if comfort is a problem.

Thanks for this thread Peter.

Michael :Gonefishing:

You are right Peter...you just never know what's going to happen out there. Some people are great swimmers and can go and retrieve their life jacket should something happen, but if you are knocked unconscious and then go over, it doesn't matter how good a swimmer you are. it's a great reminder.

August 13, 2007

The Hamilton Spectator

(Aug 13, 2007)

Police have identified a 49-year-old Hamilton boater who was pulled

from the waters of Lake Ontario Saturday afternoon.

The body of Gyula Pall was spotted around 4 p.m. by a search and

rescue helicopter about half a kilometre from his empty boat, running

in waters about 16 kilometres from Fifty Point Marina.

The search was launched after a passing boater spotted Pall's empty 18-

foot Bow Rider about two hours earlier.

Hamilton police said Pall had left Bronte Harbour to go fishing

Saturday about 5 a.m.

Acting Staff Sergeant Steve Kovach described him as "a good swimmer

and avid boater."

While the lake was calm when his body was recovered, there were

reports of heavy swells earlier in the day. Kovach added the victim

was not wearing a life jacket and urged anyone travelling on the water

to wear one.

"You may not think so, but it's going to save your life," he said.

While drownings have been declining nationally, Ontario has been

showing a slight increase according to data released recently by the

Life Saving Society of Canada. This month has been particularly

deadly, with nine drownings across Canada -- including two Hamilton

children -- during the August long weekend, up from eight in 2006.

A simple solution would to make the wearing of a pfd manditory - then boaters would not have a choice. I for one am ashamed to say that I hardly ever wear one - till now!.

I NEVER go out on the ice without my floater suit - so why not wear one in the boat.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the family - and I for one hopefully have learned from this tragity!

Don

Although I think it is a tradgedy, I think we just have to learn that bad things happen time to time. Maybe a life jacket wwould of saved him, but a five point harness, a neck harness, a helmit and a firesuit would save a majority of lifes in accidents on our highways, should we make those mandatory. I think it is more important to keep our rights and freedoms, and our choice to do what we want is more important. Enough with more laws, just let people be accountable for there own actions.

Although I think it is a tradgedy, I think we just have to learn that bad things happen time to time. Maybe a life jacket wwould of saved him, but a five point harness, a neck harness, a helmit and a firesuit would save a majority of lifes in accidents on our highways, should we make those mandatory. I think it is more important to keep our rights and freedoms, and our choice to do what we want is more important. Enough with more laws, just let people be accountable for there own actions.

I couldn't agree more. How does that saying go? "those that sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither".

Generally I only wear a PDF when the water is rough, when it's getting dark, or when there are kids in the boat with me. I hate to admit that I never use the kill switch line but I think I'll start making it a habit.

Not to take away from the discussion at all

but this is not about laws this is about self preservation and CDF (if you dont know what CDF is pm me ill tell you.

Youll come out of the water 2 ways

1. you will fish another day

2. youll make good worm food

It is a very sad thing that happened and my thoughts are with his family. However, my thoughts are also with the search and rescue workers and their families too. The waters might have been calm when he was found, and that was good. A lot of times though when search and rescue goes out the waters are anything but calm...... My point is simple while we all like to keep our rights and freedoms as mentioned above, next time anyone heads out in a boat please take a second to think about the people who might just have to come out in EVEN WORSE conditions to rescue you. They DON'T have a choice when the call goes out they have to answer it.

Also this summer there have been lots of times while sitting on a pier fishing I have seen boat after boat going out with solo riders who are not wearing PFD's when the water was heaving 4 to 6 ft swells. That is alarming enough but what really drives me to distraction is when I see the same conditions and multiple boats going out on Erie with young kids who either don't have on PFD themselves and or neither do the adults with them. Maybe Lew was right in his thread boaters have gone crazy....

Okay Boys and Girls

I dont know how many of you are aware but a tragity took place on the weekend

Im not going to go into details but here is the long and short of it

A man drowned while enjoying a great Canadian pastime on Saturday a call went out that a boat had been reported adrift in Lake Ontario(12 Miles Out off Bronte). This means no Occupant!!!!! boat was under power when discovered. The occupant was discovered a few hours later no life jacket and floating.

People if you are out on the Lake solo wear a life jacket and run a tether to your kill switch there is a good chance this could of turned out different if these 2 simple things were done!!!!!!!!!

The water was cold 62 degrees not alot of chance to survive if you have to worry about floating as well.

Rest in Peace friend!!!!!!

My condolences to family and friends

Well said. Anything could happen.

Daniel

please take a second to think about the people who might just have to come out in EVEN WORSE conditions to rescue you. They DON'T have a choice when the call goes out they have to answer it.

I think that wearing a PFD is a good idea, but your argument is severely flawed. The rescuers DO have a choice; no one is forcing them into their professions.

I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people feel they have the right to tell other people how to live their lives. I won't wear a PDF every time I'm in the boat because I'm more comfortable without it. I know the risks and it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I just heard of two lucky ones that managed to make it to shore on boogy boards, 17' bass boat that was leaking sank in about 2 minutes, 2 miles off shore in 150 FOW, where were the life jackets, locked in the storage locker, now that's a real smart pair that survived, hope they don't have any offspring.

I think that wearing a PFD is a good idea, but your argument is severely flawed. The rescuers DO have a choice; no one is forcing them into their professions.

His argument is flawed? And you reply with this?

I'm just very greatful for the men and women that 'choose' this profession and equally so for those men and women that volunteer thier time for morons like us that know better but continue to take the risk in poor weather.

I hate wearing the damn thing, it's too bulky, hot, uncomfortable etc. but there are other alternatives and I think I'm going to pick up one of those inflatables.

I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people feel they have the right to tell other people how to live their lives. I won't wear a PDF every time I'm in the boat because I'm more comfortable without it. I know the risks and it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I guess you are right about choosing their careers.... However, I was talking about once they are IN that career they don't have a choice about what weather they get ordered out in to save some fool who in most cases should have known better..... in the first place.

So forgive me if I don't find that in cases like this that someone's personal choice is more important, than the cost to try and protect them from themselves. To me your argument is flawed because your choice would be fine by me if something bad were to happen, that my tax dollars wouldn't be wasted going out and looking for you... However that isn't the reality the truth is no expense would be spared while looking for you, if something were to happen. So your decision would affect me and every other taxpayer if something did happen while you were exercising your personal freedom to not wear a PFD... I just hope for the other boaters around you that you don't also feel that NOT having boaters insurance is a personal freedom you should also be able to enjoy.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Its not just the poor souls that have to come and rescue you and risk there lives to look at your dead body floatng in the water.Its your poor family and friends that have to live with your senseless death.So its not just about your comfort.Think about all the others discomfort.To many people think just of them selfes and not others.Dan

I'm just very greatful for the men and women that 'choose' this profession and equally so for those men and women that volunteer thier time for morons like us that know better but continue to take the risk in poor weather.

I'm not a moron, nor do take stupid risks by going out on the water in poor weather. I take a calculated risk by not wearing a PFD when the probability of something bad happening is very low.

I guess you are right about choosing their careers.... However, I was talking about once they are IN that career they don't have a choice about what weather they get ordered out in to save some fool who in most cases should have known better..... in the first place.

Well, if you sign up to be a rescue worker and assume that you're never going to have to do your job when the weather's bad then you're pretty naive.

So forgive me if I don't find that in cases like this that someone's personal choice is more important, than the cost to try and protect them from themselves.

Sorry bro, but I won't forgive you for wanting to stomp on my personal freedom to decide what risks I'm willing to accept for myself.

To me your argument is flawed because your choice would be fine by me if something bad were to happen, that my tax dollars wouldn't be wasted going out and looking for you... However that isn't the reality the truth is no expense would be spared while looking for you, if something were to happen. So your decision would affect me and every other taxpayer if something did happen while you were exercising your personal freedom to not wear a PFD...

By your logic, we should outlaw riding a bike, driving a car, or crossing the street because it'll cost tax payers money when an accident happens. Maybe we should outlaw fast food and being overweight. I'm a fit person and I'm sick and tired of all these fat slobs costing me money because they don't take care of their bodies. :rolleyes: Do you catch my drift?

I just hope for the other boaters around you that you don't also feel that NOT having boaters insurance is a personal freedom you should be able to enjoy.

That's right. I don't believe insurance should be mandatory. I don't drive my boat like an idiot, and I'm very conscience and respectful of others on the water. For the amount of time I spend on the water the odds are very low that I'll ever be the cause of a boating accident, so why should I be forced to fork over my hard earned cash for a service that'll I'll probably never need to use.

Its not just the poor souls that have to come and rescue you and risk there lives to look at your dead body floatng in the water.Its your poor family and friends that have to live with your senseless death.So its not just about your comfort.Think about all the others discomfort.To many people think just of them selfes and not others.Dan

Well Dan, it's my life and if I want to be "selfish" then it's my freedom to do so.

I'm not a moron, nor do take stupid risks by going out on the water in poor weather. I take a calculated risk by not wearing a PFD when the probability of something bad happening is very low.

Well, if you sign up to be a rescue worker and assume that you're never going to have to do your job when the weather's bad then you're pretty naive.

Sorry bro, but I won't forgive you for wanting to stomp on my personal freedom to decide what risks I'm willing to accept for myself.

By your logic, we should outlaw riding a bike, driving a car, or crossing the street because it'll cost tax payers money when an accident happens. Maybe we should outlaw fast food and being overweight. I'm a fit person and I'm sick and tired of all these fat slobs costing me money because they don't take care of their bodies. :rolleyes: Do you catch my drift?

That's right. I don't believe insurance should be mandatory. I don't drive my boat like an idiot, and I'm very conscience and respectful of others on the water. For the amount of time I spend on the water the odds are very low that I'll ever be the cause of a boating accident, so why should I be forced to fork over my hard earned cash for a service that'll I'll probably never need to use.

Woah someone wants to argue for the sake of arguing I guess. I would oblige you but I gave all that noise up years ago online.... I did especially like the part about how you jumped from my suggesting that wearing a PFD should be mandatory to my thinking that we should get into banning driving, biking and walking. Which strangely enough are all permitted but all have little laws attached to being able to do them "legally" and hopefully safely. The best though was the part about the insurance.... I agree with your logic but c'mon buddy no one I know EVER carries any kind of insurance (except life insurance) for anything because THEY think they are going to be the CAUSE of the accident that requires them having to make a claim.....

Oh and since I am one of those fat slobs you are so against for causing the high cost of health care. I guess should apologize now. Oh wait I have only been to a doctor twice in the past 15 yrs.... hmmm maybe I will skip saying sorry for that.

I must say though the laughter reading your posts has given me should be good enough medicine to keep me out of the docs office for at least another year or two. THANKS!!!!