Sorry guys...

Gerritt

I will be rigging my boat tomorrow.. adding the seats and electronics and whatnot... and I got to thinking..

How am I going to mount the seat to the middle Bench? The bench is tight to the floor so it will be difficult to strap around the entire bench... and I cant get underneath it to put some marine grade plywood in.. are 4 stainless Screws going to be enough? I would hate to see the quick release plate ripped right out of the bench especially when under way and your leaning back into the seat..

What have you guys done to ensure your passengers safety?

Here is a picture so you can see what I am referring too...

July07048.jpg

Thanks again guys!

Gerritt.

TILLER!!!

Sorry Bubba... I couldn't resist.

If it was me, I'd use the exterior grade construction adhesive on the base before I screwed it down, if I didn't drill out all the rivets... I'm pretty sure somebody will come up with a better solution.

Edited by Greencoachdog

There are brackets available for tank seats such as you and I both have in our boats. One is a slide that allows you to slide the seat from left to right and swivel. The other is a screw on type also tha clamps around the tank/bench seat and the swivel base screws onto it.

example of what I'm talkiing about

They aren't cheap, but work well, they hold my 300 lbs OK.

Don't know about that tiller seat though as you have a hatch on top of it? One of these may work. Perhaps a quick release on the swivel base so you can take the seat off if it gets in the way when you go into the storage under it.

Could always try Rob at Riverside Marina as he sells PolarKraft and may have a suggestion or the parts you need. They may be open on Sunday (used to be anyway because they have gas pumps)

Edited by pikehunter

Yeah... I have the Release-A-Seat as shown in those pictures.. Perhaps I need to rethink the middle seat...

As for the rear (my) seat.. I will be placing 3/4" plywood underneath it to sandwich it in, I will also be adding a locking handle to it to keep the seat from opening.

All great suggestions guys.. please keep them coming!

Gerritt.

I had the same problem with my boat so I screwed a piece of plywood to attach the seat to. However, the screws that came with the seat didn't grip the plywood enough to stop my friend from breaking it when he leaned back.

I think the easiest way to fix this would be to buy a bracket, but I guess you could double up the plywood, get long screws (or even better, use bolts with some big washers) and use some construction adhesive to secure the plywood to the seat, like Greencoach said.

All in all, I'd really recommend the bracket though. I mean, it'll only take minutes to install, it'll last longer and will probably be stronger.

I am not sure what they are called but you drill a hole and then put a nut with arms on it into the hole and the arms open up. then you screw the bolts down tight.

I would bolt seats in because it could be real bad if the seat rips out.

You're thinking about a toggle bolt but I'm not sure if it would work in this case.... you could drill a big enough hole but it likely wouldn't spread with the floatation material inside the bench.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ima...ggleboltuse.jpg

why not crack open one of them benches, take out the foam, use the space as rod/tackle/saftey equipment storage, then place wood over it as the hatch, and then bolt on the seat swivel...? y'all get where i'm getting at?

maybe if i do that, i'll post some pics...but not for another 2 weeks..lol

If you drill a hole into the boats metal seat then make a slot thru the hole ( -o- )and off to the side you can install fenderwasher (oversized washer) thru the slotted size with a bolt that is threads up. then put the seat in place and tighten the nut in place and hold the bolt ( use 2 nuts that you tighten against each other near the end)if it starts to spin. Cut off the excess of the bolt if it interferes with the seat movement.

Art

I had a similar problem with a fiberglass boat that I had. I fastened the Release-A-Seat bracket on the bench seat using toggle bolts. I owned the boat for three years and it didn't show any problems. Actually, the only problem I did have was that the seat bracket isn't made with the greatest precission, and on one seat the swivel mount (attached to the seat) wouldn't slide out of the bracket because it couldn't get over the release lever. I installed four of them on my boat, and this happened to one of them. As a result, when I winterized my boat, that one seat had to stay in. Every spring I tighten all the screws or check them, and they were always fine. The only difference is that since my boat was fiberglass (so were the bench seats) the bench was plywood finished with fiberglass. This might be significant becuase in order to insert the toggle I had to drill 1/4' hole. In your case Rivets also sound like a good/better idea. Just make sure the release lever is facing front or back, you dont want to release the seat by sliding it along the bench. I made that mistake and had to reposition the bracket.

Edited by Tackle Buster

When i did my old tinny. I pop the rivets out of the bench seat.

Installed the slide in with grade 8 bolts,Over size washer and loc-tite.

Then pop riveted the bench back down.

this took a couple of hours, but I know that seat has not move.

Nephew has the boat now.

When using rivets, make sure you use the right size.

To large of a rivet will spider crack around the holes, loosening the rivets.

Don't know of any thing that will hold down the seat. By just screwing it down.

For How thin the aluminum is in the bench it will come loss.

You're thinking about a toggle bolt but I'm not sure if it would work in this case.... you could drill a big enough hole but it likely wouldn't spread with the floatation material inside the bench.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ima...ggleboltuse.jpg

There is a fastner called a Nutsert-there's other brand names. Basically you drill a hole, then insert the nutsert into the 'blind' hole on the nose peice of a tool that looks like pop rivet gun. Squeeze the tools handles and the nutsert 'mushrooms' on both sides of the hole....leaves you a threaded nut iside the aluminum bench in this case. Great for marine aps, on a peice of sheet metal a grade 5 fastner breaks before the nusert turns loose.

I'm in Whitby-long drive from Hamilton but your welcome to borrow mine-think I have some wide flange nutserts for aluminum also. Here's a link: http://www.valleyhardware.ca/technical/nutsert_tech1.html

I'm a 'tool guy'....love when a job means I need a new tool.