4 for 4 Today - Lots of pictures.

SlowPoke

Muskiestud (Chris) and I hit the banks of the mighty Thames once again.

A quick stop for coffee and we embarked on our 3 or 4 mile journey. We arrived at the same location we went to last week but found it inaccessable. We ended up just outside of town at a nice location.

DSC01079.jpg

After setting up the rods I was showing off the hair rigs I had tied the night before. Chris had a go at it and ran into the same issues I was having the night before.

DSC01080.jpg

Tying off the hair must be a fine art in order to make a small enough loop. I found it easier to work the knot toward the end of the hair using a bait needle but there must be a better way. We're learing this carp stuff together and eventually we'll catch on to the techniques.

As Chris was tying, his rod went off. He sprang into action, nearly un-crossing his legs.

DSC01081.jpg

A nice fight, nearly five minutes to bring it in but it wasn't much bigger than last weeks fish. They fought much harder in this location.

A scrappy 26"er

DSC01083.jpg

Sooner or later we're going to get competitive about this carp thing but for now we're taking turns on the rods. Chris' rod went off again and he handed it to me. Another good tussle and we both thought it might be in the 30" range but it was actually smaller. I took a shot for Team 4 because we didn't have any carp enteries.

Nice 24"er with attitude

DSC01086.jpg

Not long afterwards Chris' rod goes off again. The fish promptly swam to shore and waited for patiently for Chris to release him. Actually, it was another good workout and the big fish of the day nearing 27"s.

A quick pose and back it went

DSC01091.jpg

All three fish came on Chris' rod with a long lead and baited hook. I was begining to lose some faith in this whole hair rig thing but finally my rod went off. Another good fighter putting a big bend in my very light rod. Having broke off last week, I upgraded my line and was now more concerned about the rod holding up but it did a fine job.

DSC01092.jpg

Again I was thinking it might be in the 30" range until we saw him... clearly this fish has Napoleonic issues.

DSC01094.jpg

Still a respectable fish and I was able to upgrade the earlier Team 4 entry by a couple of inches.

A 26"er and a pose

DSC01097.jpg

All four fish came between 7 and 8AM and then there was a lot of this....

DSC01098-1.jpg

Although the carp were still surfacing it was with much less frequency and we decided to pack up. Our original location was on the way home so we decided to give it a shot. Chris was able to lift a fallen tree that obstucted us earlier and we made our way into the spot.

DSC01100.jpg

His Herculian efforts did not pay off however, all the fish had left early for lunch break.

Another good day fishing!

-Brian

I had a great morning with Brian and look forward to doing it all again next weekend if we can hook up. I'm suprised how hard those carp fight if they get into some deeper water like we had going on today. I'm thinking next week we hit the local resevour in St Marys(Wildwood) where I know for a fact there are some serious tankers to be had there in deeper water....

It was a close one getting the truck wedged under that tree but after battling those carp all morning I was up for just about anything :lol:

Cheers !!

WTG guys...Those are some nice pics.

As far as tying the loop for the hair, you can always tie a bigger loop so that you can get your needle and bait stop into it easier. The loop need not be small provided you've got the correct length for the hair (And even that usually is variable)..Instead of tying a small loop at the end of the hair, you can also whip that piece of line over itself when using the knot-less knot to create 1 large loop as a hair. After you whip over the knot, you can take a lighter and glob over the tag end so it doesn't come undone - Trying to get a baiting needle through a tiny loop at night is a pain.

I'm suprised how hard those carp fight if they get into some deeper water like we had going on today.........

Just wait until you break the 20lb mark and it comes flying out of the water like a trout/salmon!! People laugh but they sure can be fun!

Nice report guys! Everyone I have met that ties their own hoar rigs, tie them differently..even Cliff and I do, just keep at 'em until you find what works for you!!!

bly

As far as tying the loop for the hair, you can always tie a bigger loop so that you can get your needle and bait stop into it easier. The loop need not be small provided you've got the correct length for the hair (And even that usually is variable)..Instead of tying a small loop at the end of the hair, you can also whip that piece of line over itself when using the knot-less knot to create 1 large loop as a hair. After you whip over the knot, you can take a lighter and glob over the tag end so it doesn't come undone - Trying to get a baiting needle through a tiny loop at night is a pain.
Everyone I have met that ties their own hoar rigs, tie them differently..even Cliff and I do, just keep at 'em until you find what works for you!!!

I think I am going to abandon the knotted loop on the hair for something else.

I don't think I am revolutionizing carp fishing, I'm sure it's been done before... I had some success tying an 'adjustable hair rig' by eliminating the knot that seemed to tear up the corn when sliding it onto the hair. Here's what I did;

-cut about 18" off the spool

-fold over the last 3" and pass the hoop through the hook eye about 2" leaving a 1" tag

-with the long end, tie the knotless knot around the shank binding the hair loop

-adjust the hair length by tugging on the tag end and snip it off

DSC01101.jpg

Way to go Brian a nice addition to our team #4. :clapping::thumbsup_anim: MTP

Thanks Mike, I'm happy I could finally contribute something for the team but I am looking to upgrade that entry.

-Brian

WTG Brian...By George I believe you got it !!!

Only thing different I would do is take a flame to the tag end after all is tied to stop it from pulling loose... :oops: MJL already mentioned doing this... :blush: like my buddy Nanook sez..."it's me age don't you know"

There are times when the carp may just "mouth" the bait and take off and the hook is still outside its lips and without melting the line you may lose your bait... :(

Do you soften your maize by boiling or soaking ?...it is good to do either whether you are using it for chumming or baiting as small fish do not digest it too well if it is "hard"...

You guys are doing well...I'll send you a couple of sites after I finish checking them out myself...

Edited by Beans