How to use Tilt/Trim

OK! Ok! I know I am openingmyself up for abuse BUT maybe I will be lucky & get some great tips anyway. :rolleyes:

Went out in the new rig on Sat morning. Very pleased with everything but have NO IDEA how to PROPERLY use the power tilt/trim. My other rig was strictly manual! Someone is certain to say "put a wing(Doelfin etc) on the motor but it is under warranty & we don't want any "modifications" to invalidate that warranty.

Anyone have any SERIOUS tricks/tips to share. :worthy:

Thanks,

FT

This is what I do.When you first take off make sure the motor is all the way down.When the boat planes out slowly trim the motor up.Be carefull not to over trim the motor or it will over rev or not draw water.On rough days leave the motor all the way down.This will stop it from pounding waves.If you have any questions shoot me a p.m.Dan

You have to know what your motors redline is. Once at full throttle, trim up until you are just under that. If you cannot get to the redline (or close) without porposing or cavitating, your motor or prop needs changing/adjusting.

I didn't like taking off from full down trim, but just a shade above that. Remember that at full speed and full trim, the boat will handle VERY differently and you need to drop the motor a bit before starting a turn.

If you feel chine walking, bring the trim down a touch until it stops. (Usually only an issue with big motors).

Adjust your trim as you go by very small increments...you do not want to bring it up or drop it down fast...the change in torque is extremely noticeable.

Starting out from a start most boats require to trim all the way down to keep the bow down coming up on plane. Depending on weight distribution in the craft will affect how to trim as well as wind conditions. Weight should be distributed as evenly as possible throughout the hull. With some lighter boats ( such as aluminum) not trimming up too high will keep the keel in the water to maintain directional control in windy conditions. Ideally trim should make the front of your boat plow on plane when trimmed down and gallop when trimmed up. What you are looking for is a balance between the two. As you trim up on plane you will likely feel the boat lift and speed up as the front of the boat comes up it reduces the friction of the water. At that point it will increase fuel economy and reduce engine wear.

What nip said is good sound advise.

When blasting off tuck that motor right up against yer butt,full throttle and start to trim.

As for the advise of the pounding part,yep,not sure about right in but you want the bow or just a bit past it to break the waves.

Like mentioned,know your rpm limit.Mine is 5200,I try to keep it just a tad under that.

Practice practice pratice. I dont even use the tac anymore,I can hear the motor and feel that wheel just click when Im there.

The quicker you get on plane the better. On some boats that means full throttle until on plane and then adjust to your cruising speed. This doesn't mean hammer the throttle. Give an even push of the throttle until the boat flattens out, then trim up until you hear RPM's increase. Find your cruising speed and trim up/down to maintain it.

I can run 25 mph without trimming out at nearly wide open throttle. I can maintain 25 mph at just above half throttle by trimming. At full throttle properly trimmed I can run 35 mph but just a slight adjustment the wrong way with the rim will scrub 1 mph off the top speed.

Getting to know your boat/trim will save you tons of gas.

Do you guys always run at full throttle??

That little bit extra speed you get at wot costs you a lot of fuel efficiency; I don't keep it at wot for long-just to get that feeling of top speed, then it's back down to 3/4-7/8.

Pin that throttle to the stops and trim it out for max safe RPM's then hang on cause it's going to get alittle squirrely around here. Most of the time I have it running that way because it is a jet drive and their ain't much water when you are running thru the shallows and the rapids around here. I have an 84 inch wide bottom on the boat and at the correct trim my washline is 3 foot from the back of the boat and the boat is about 3 inches depth in the water. This is not how you want to run a prop boat but it shows how versatile T/T is when you need it. While in Canada I run the boat at 3/4 throttle and trimmed out to about 6 inch in the water and 5 foot of washline so I don't have to spend as much on gas. I still think that the investment of a tini tach is one of the best because it will let you trimout the boat to the most economical attitude no matter what speed you are going.

Art

If you got power trim you probably have an indicator. Try popping up on plane all in, if you feel it is riding on its nose try again with it trimmed back a bit, once you find the sweet spot where she pops up even make a mental note of that spot on the indicator. You don't have to go wot to plane.

When on plane trim back, what this does is push the stern down changing the angle that the boat hits the planing force of the water and raising the boat out of the water as the boat raises out of the water you will notice the water line move back and with less boat in the water you don't have to move as much water out of the way = less wake =less work for the motor so it will pick up a couple hundred rpm. As you trim further back think of it as moving the pivot point on a teeter totter, sooner or later the weight of the bow will bring it down and the boat will porpuss so you don't want to go that far back.

So again you look for the sweet spot where the boat lifts enough to pick up the rpm and sometimes the steering will loosen up a bit.

In choppy water if you trim in and lift the stern, again like a teeter totter the bow will drop into the waves and cut some of the chop smoothing the ride a bit but when you plane or run displacement speeds in the big waves(like what you can't see over) trim back to keep the bow up so you don't plunge under them.

Once you've had power trim there is no going back. You just have to pick up a little seamanship from experience.

IF your boat is mostly out of the water at WOT and it handles properly at other speeds, no need to alter your tiller. That being said I noticed if I had anyone on board with me, my tiller plowed ALOT, so I moved it up one hole and it does handle better and move faster.

Rick's got it right, keep moving the pin back till it starts to porpoise and then move it forward one spot. that will give you a starting place and then adjust for whatever load you carry that day. If your making a beer run you may have to trim in just to get it on plane.