Look Communications Rant

bigfish1965

I had a site hosted by Look Communications for a few years. It became incredibly expensive when compared to other options out there. So I cancelled the account in August 2006.

Then a few months later, they sent me an invoice for $200. I called and said that the account had been cancelled and I needed them to rectify this.

They said okay, no problem.

About 3 months later I get another invoice for the same amount. Again, I call them and they apologise for the error.

Today I get a call from a collection agency for the $200!!!

Now I'm pissed. I don't care about the $200. I was with them for many years and they got several thousand dollars out of me. Now I host or control dozens of websites and if they think I will ever send them a customer again, they are nuts.

So far the collection agency has been very good to me and they are going to chat with Look and see what the deal is. I may have to pay it to preserve my credit rating.

Amazing that companies like this still exist. You don't dispute my claim on the phone that this is your error and then send it to collections??

Either their staff is irresponsible or their business practices are suspect. either way, you all should be forewarned!

Rick,

Being a collector myself, I assure you that you have nothing to worry about. Especially with your credit rating. If anything happened to your credit over this, you could take legal action and easily win.

If the collection agency even mentioned to you that your credit rating would be affected they can get in deep trouble. The nature of your bill does not warrant a bad credit rating.

What you want to do is make sure that you put your dispute in writing (fax it and keep the confirmation or send by registered mail), make it clear that you do not want them to contact you again and if they do, you will take legal action as well as file a complaint to the Ministry of Consumer and Corporate Affairs.

There are so many laws protecting you.

If I was you, I would record the collection agency call and make them cross the line. (you are legally allowed to record the conversation without their permission in Canada - you dont have to tell them either).

What you do is (while recording) you tell your story, tell them it is disputed and that you asked that they not call you again (once you tell them that, they are not allowed to call anymore) and you say that "you told me before this would affect my credit, is this still the case". If he says "yes". They are screwed.

You play this recording for the collection manager and your problem will go away. If they still try to hardball you, tell them you are going to call the ministry, if that still doesnt work, actually call the ministry and complain and let them listen.

Most collection agencies already have black marks and 1 more complaint can cost them their lisence so they wont want you to call. Especially over a $200 bogus bill.

Also, every collector must have their individual collectors lisence # at hand and must provide their full name and lisence# upon request. If they dont, they are screwed. So first and foremost, ask them for this info. If they dont have it or dont provide it and you have it on tape... they are screwed.

If you want more advice etc.. feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the heads-up !! It's really quite ridiculous, my neighbor had the exact same problem, but with Bell !! I even saw a episode of "the 5th estate" on cbc about how Bell would ILLEGALLY charge previous customers for service that they've already cancelled months eather.. It was soo annoying, a collection agency would call my buddy at least a few times a week, he would explain to them everytime that hes cancelled the service months ago (back in spring), then they would apologize & say they've corrected the problem, and would keep calling back again & again, eventually they stopped when he finally just told them, "DON'T CALL ME ANYMORE BECAUSE I WILL NEVER PAY YOU FOR A SERIVCE I DIDN'T RECIEVE !!!!" and they stopped calling LOL :D

I don't know how Look are still in business. I had them for a while until I lost line of sight to the tower, because of trees growing between my antenna and there towers. When I first contacted them to get them installed (only high speed internet available in my area at that time) they wqanted to charge me for antenna 40ft tower and I told them that if they wanted me as a customer that they will have to install the tower free of charge. They did but when I called to get disconnected I asked when they were going to come and remove the tower all they said was that that tower was now mine. So I now have a 40ft tower worth about 800.00 attached to my house and i don't need it.

Anybody needs a tower at a good price??? That was 4 years ago ...