Thank you, Friends !

Nanook

Just want to say a big THANKYOU for all the kind messages and condolences on the loss of Cocoa.

We took him to the Vet's and sat on the floor with him while the 'needles' took effect. Dammit, if he did'nt try to lick our hands and faces as he died. Thats when we both broke down, even the Vet and her assistant were weeping. I [we] will never, ever go through that again.

Thank you once again, good friends!!!

You have my utmost respect Jack for handling things the way that you did. It is unbelievably hard to see your faithful friend in distress and even harder to have the fortitude to help them in the kindest way. Being there and holding them in their final moments when they are looking at you with adoration takes balls.........

Barbara and I have been through it a few times and it doesn't get easier. We have sat and talked about the heartache that follows such a decision and come to the same conclusion each time. It is much better to have loved and lost your friend than never to have had their love at all.

Take care......

John...

Nanook, my deepest sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your friend, Cocoa. Take heart in knowing that the last thing Cocoa saw were the faces of the people who loved him the best. He left this world knowing he was loved. I know what you're feeling right now as I just found out this morning that my 12 yr old Golden Retriever, Amber, has cancer & I can't imagine life without her..... Just remember all the good times you had with Cocoa -he may be gone, but the memories will always be with you.

Deb

Nanook,

You might not feel like it now, but you and your wife did the absolute best thing you could have ever done.

You made the toughest choice, and you were there in Cocoa's last few moments. You have my utmost respect.

I too said "I will never go through that again". That was 2 dogs ago lol and no doubt I will have to do it again cuz' my big guy is getting up there in years too. There are few things in life as tough to do as being there when you have to put an animal you love to sleep. I think it is a big part of the healing process.

The memories of 12 1/2 years of "Life with Cocoa" will soon outweigh the saddest day.

Hookset.

Again, very sorry about the loss of Cocoa. What a wonderful thing you did for Cocoa being there during the last moments.

As lucky as you were having a great dog like Cocoa, Cocoa was very fortuneate as well having you folks as family for his time here.

Wow...thats a tough one, sorry for your loss.

Perhaps he was trying ease your anguish for doing what you had to do as I'm sure he could feel your emotions. I've been told that a dog will bear enormous amounts of suffering to keep living for his "people". You did the right thing by being humane and being there for him in the last moments. I wouldn't do it any other way myself.