Ottawa Area Bass Report

Hello All,

Headed out to a lake just south of Ottawa with my buddy Tim. Fairly late start, and didn't arrive at the launch until 1:30pm. The wind was howling, but the sun was out and the air temperature hot. Headed over to a rock and weed flat, that is located a short run from the launch. Picked up my first fish of the day on a Zara Spook. This girl was sitting in 8-feet of water, and smoked the bait as soon as it made contact with the surface.

July1601.jpg

Not long after, Tim had a smallie crush his spinnerbait, and run 15 feet sideways with it in the blink of an eye. Sadly, the hooks never found flesh.

Had a few more strikes on the Spook, missing two fish and losing one fish that would of went 4+. I wasn't a happy camper.

Tim picked up a decent fish on the spinnerbait.

July1602.jpg

It was now time to get down to some "flipping" business. We worked some shorelines, and soon discovered that the fish were holding in very skinny water, mostly under small slop mats, or under or on wood. Most in water between 1 and 2-feet deep.

The first fish to fall prey to the jig was this healthy smallie that came out from under a boat.

July1603.jpg

Although the wind chased us away from a bunch of my prime spots, after figuring out the pattern, we did fairly well.

Tim with a fish that came off a metre-wide section of slop, blown up against some wood.

July1604.jpg

We did fish some deep weed pockets and weedlines, but couldn't buy a fish from them. Very surprising for this lake.

Another largie that fell for a well-executed pitch. You can see the wood it came off of in the background.

July1605.jpg

Working the wood with a jig.

July1608.jpg

The results.

July1606.jpg

July1607.jpg

I missed one nice largie that would of went between 4 and 5, but had to much slack out to get a decent hookset. Again, not a happy camper..

All in all, a decent day on the water. Tim and I always have a tonne of fun fishing together, and the laughs never end. 16 fish landed for 5.5 hours work - not a banner day by any means, but fairly consistent action.

Looking forward to the next fish, bud..

Good Fishing,

Justin