Walleye in lake trout lakes.

Hi all,

went camping for a couple nights at the beginning of this week at our local Provincial Park which is on a lake trout lake.  I headed out two mornings in a row at the crack of dawn as it’s my experience that the fishing is better before 9am. First morning the trout were chasing and biting, the second morning out they would only chase. Both mornings produced some really nice walleye, something about walleye in trout lakes, they are tanks, difficult to find sometimes, but when you do find them it’s a blast! I finished both mornings with a few bass once the trout and walleye bite stopped around 9am, WeatherRadar was perfect, fishing was great and was back in time for breakfast.

• Like 7

Good shooting !

Lake Trout lakes typically have populations of nutrient rich baitfish like Cisco and Smelt...that's why the Walleye get big....as compared to shallower lakes like the Kawarthas where the forage is mostly Perch and Shiners.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Good shooting !

Lake Trout lakes typically have populations of nutrient rich baitfish like Cisco and Smelt...that's why the Walleye get big....as compared to shallower lakes like the Kawarthas where the forage is mostly Perch and Shiners.

As well as Whitefish and Fallfish.

I fished Kipawa for many years, the Walleye in there grow quite large. 
In fact I love fishing lakes that contain both Walleye and Lakers, you can usually get a good bite from one or the other as the day progresses from dawn to sunset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiel said:

In fact I love fishing lakes that contain both Walleye and Lakers, you can usually get a good bite from one or the other as the day progresses from dawn to sunset.

That's why I chose to build a place on my lake in Frontenac...Walleyes and Lake Trout in the same lake. Not common in inland lakes in Southern Ontario. The Bass, Pike, Whitefish, Burbot and Crappie are just a bonus...somethin's always bitin'...and I never get bored..

Now..if I could only sneak in some Musky, I'd save myself a trip to NW Ontario every autumn...and if one of the incoming creeks had a Steelhead run...oh my...lol

20230722_181639.jpg

IMG_20190805_154424.jpg

IMG_20201108_105321.jpg

IMG_20201106_145427.jpg

IMG_20190127_122613.jpg

IMG_20190127_122635.jpg

20180520_154525.jpg

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Spiel said:

Yea I fished Kipawa for close to 20 years. One year at Corbeau my bud got a 10.5lb Laker  mid afternoon and I got a 11.5 lb Walleye 10:30 at night. We took both biggest fish that week all out of my little 14 ft tinner beating out all the rich yanks in their big fancy boats. That felt good. :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

@CrowMan You're on Crow lake connected to Bobs lake right? My ex SIL has a trailer at Browns up for sale as increasingly strict regulations there have him fed up.

Brown's is in the background of the Laker photo.

Largest lake in eastern Ontario with over 250km of shoreline. I have 38 acres and 450 ft of frontage on the east side (sunset view). Not a neighbour in sight on either side. Nice thing about the Crow/Bobs system is that over 35% of the shoreline is Crown land, so it's not over developed like Muskoka or the Kawarthas.

Browns is a little congested for my taste. Seems like a lot of the occupants are Americans.

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

Brown's is in the background of the Laker photo.

Largest lake in eastern Ontario with over 250km of shoreline. I have 38 acres and 450 ft of frontage on the east side (sunset view). Not a neighbour in sight on either side. Nice thing about the Crow/Bobs system is that over 35% of the shoreline is Crown land, so it's not over developed like Muskoka or the Kawarthas.

Browns is a little congested for my taste. Seems like a lot of the occupants are Americans.

That's a nice chunk of land you have there, must be nice. We know another guy Chris who has a cottage at the top end of the lake. Yea Derek liked it there as it wasn't crowded like a lot of trailer parks and there are only about 40 trailer lots, each with a large front and back yard. Plus the access to Bobs was a bonus. It's just the last few years with price increases and the ever increasing restrictions they add to the yearly agreements that have him ticked off. Not sure about the Americans, he's never mentioned that. He's now looking at maybe also selling his house and buying a nice insulated one owner 3 season cottage on the Miss and adding heat for the winter.

• Like 1