Hello everyone, I'm going to a cottage on balsam lake from the 16th-20th, hoping to target some pike, walleye, and crappie. From what I've gathered I would guess that pike and walleye are post-spawn and in shallow water (4-10') sitting in the new emerging weeds, and crappie would be in bays, spawning possibly? Also, it might help to know we have a fish finder that has sidescan and can tell us the depth we're in. I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction regarding how to target any of these 3 species on balsam lake. Thanks again. 

Jerk baits for pike would be the ticket.  They aren't very picky.  Slip floats and small plastics for the crappie.  Remember they feed 'up' so don't run a lead that's too long.  Walleye you'll wanna be rip jigging in any weeds you find, they should still be fairly shallow depending on water temps.

Hi Ed

You should have a good time on Balsam it has a good population of Pike and has some nice Walleyes . I sent you a message let me know which end the lake you are staying at I might be able to help . Good Luck

Hank Jr

Jerkbaits, slow spinner baits, and slow paddle tails for pike, look for bays with emerging weed, and fish them entirely, don’t worry about fishing the shoreline, cover the middle of the bays.

crappie will be up around the deepest Lilly pads. Slip float, tiny tungsten jig and a crappie bait.

walleye, deepest weed lines

man I used to love fishing Balsam, was my go to lake for musky. Once we started to catch more pike than musky I moved on to other waters. The pike were a good size in there too. I caught some pike in South Bay 10 years ago that were pushing 40 inches.

We still fish Balsam for Muskies when we get up to the Kawarthas . The Pike have taken over the lake but now you catch some BIG Tigers along with the Muskies .