Thoughts on 1990s Boat

Posted (edited)

No. What do you guys think of a project boat?  Motor is apparently solid (I'd want to have that checked first). Boat needs a new floor and carpet.  Trailer is good except for tires.  Just like to think outside the box... if i got this for say $3500, what would it cost to get this water worthy?

this is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/share/8WBhJzdR1BELQ63A/?mibextid=79PoIi

IMO it looks like it needs more than a floor!

Edited by siwash

Omg… if you’re prepared to buy something like this, and are that budget conscious, just get that boat in new liskeard. I got him down to 4500, and based on the compression test, the motor is solid. You’re paying $4500 so even if you need to fix a leak or something, it’s fair.

Edited by DD88

42 minutes ago, strik said:

They could  not even clean it up for a picture..... Run

This…

right off the bat, the best boat you’ve posted is that super clean one. If the guys can’t even clean up the boat for their for sale photos they most certainly didn’t do any maintenance either.

I’ve owned a couple of “old” boats now and here’s the deal.

1. compression test is mandatory, full stop. No one cares that it runs in the driveway or even on the water etc. a boat with no motor is literally scrap aluminum.

2. if you’re going aluminum, that thing needs to be leak checked. A single bad rivet and guess what, you’ve got yourself an anchor.

if it floats and the compression is good, then it’s time to decide how much time and money you have left to actually make the thing run.

”but I thought If the motor is running, it is good to go!”

nope…haven’t owned a boat yet that didn’t immediately need fixing. In my instance, a full re-wire for the trolling motors and electronics was required right off the jump. Even though the guys that owned my boats were well intentioned, they most certainly didn’t know how to properly wire boats, they clearly just were not the most handy guys, and truthfully that’s why they were moving on from the boat that they sold me. No one sells a perfectly functioning boat…that’s just how it is.

finally, I see that you are operating on somewhat of a limited budget, so ask yourself, are you financially prepared to fix the stupid things that will constantly break on your boat? The adage BOAT BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND is real. Let me promise you, it is ohhhh so real on a boat that’s older than 15 years old.

i seemingly can’t manage to go more than a week without something breaking on me. Thank god I own a Yamaha (knock on wood) so my motor doesn’t give me problems. But for some perspective here’s a list off of the top of my head of the work that I have had to do myself on my 2006 stratos since I have owned it.

i have owned this boat going on my fourth year I’m not trying to scare you, I’m just trying to give you perspective. also I’ll add I’m not doing these things just to do them, im literally just fixing things as they wear out or break on me.

-boat electronics rewire

-trolling motor rewire

- windshield screw in repair

- new pole light

- new trailer tires

- trailer brakes service (needs more work as I speak)

- new trailer plug

- new winch strap

- total reweld of the winch pole on the trailer

- new trailer corner lights

- new trailer tail lights 

- vst and fuel filter

- water and fuel separator

- new rollers for nose and tail of trailer 

- new trailer bunks 

- new middle seat

- new batteries

- total reinstall of my battery trays after they literally ejected in the back of my boat during a rough tournament day…in which I of course proceeded to misalign my work set up and you guessed it, drilled a friggin hole right through the bottom of my fibreglass boat…so guess who now has to re-finish a section of fibreglass on my hull 

- same tournament, I hit a wave so hard my livescope perspective mount snapped in half 

- new livewell pump

- new transom saver

and now…last but not least, I blew the lower end on my boat during that tournament that knocked all of my battery trays flying. $2500 later I’ve got a rebuilt lower end from top gun marine that I had to install, which I also ran into issues with my trim tab being seized/stripped.

-new  trim tab and two new bolts from japaN

- and just as of Sunday, the boat buckle tie down for the front of my boat just stripped and now I need $90 to buy another one…it’s almost comical at this point!

as You see from the list above, it sure as hell does not afford me a ton of time and money leftover to buy fishing goodies. I joke with my friends that I can’t afford to be a tackle junky because I own a fishing boat. 

it’s a labour of love. But man does it hurt…luckily I don’t have kids, and luckily I have the time and passion for working on this stuff. BE PREPARED

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, the brown boat was the best... I am still considering that.  Just waiting to see what else comes up. If it's still for sale I may very well go for that

28 minutes ago, DD88 said:

Omg… if you’re prepared to buy something like this, and are that budget conscious, just get that boat in new liskeard. I got him down to 4500, and based on the compression test, the motor is solid. You’re paying $4500 so even if you need to fix a leak or something, it’s fair.

Did you see that boat?  I did.  It's ROUGh!  

I just meant to post the project more out of curiosity than anything else.  No way would i buy it.  If that's what people thought, my mistake.  I wouldn't and couldn't take that on. Don't have the tools, the no how or the desire.  

I've narrowed it down to the clean biege/brown Sea Nymph or another one out in Owen Sound that's nice and clean looking too:

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 1.25.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 1.25.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 1.24.59 PM.png

This princecraft is really clean. Another 90s setup, but if the worse case is that the motor develops issues, those 50 horses in the mid 2000s era are pretty reasonable on marketplace right now… so provided the boat is super clean, that would be the worse case. I could live with that.

• Like 1

just FYI, the whaletail is a sure sign that you wont be getting anywhere fast in the boat. Especially with friends coming along. The old addage that you want a boat thats maxed out the HP rating is true. Anything less and driving your boat with company will be a slow process. Its not the end of the world obviously...Not everyone needs a fast boat. Getting from A to B and out on the water and off of the bank is enough. Just think ahead of where and how you like to boat. A boat that wont get on plane is not a boat made for 20km rips up the lake to that prime honey hole.

Dead honest question for you siwash...Is your intention to fish with your kids etc? 

If you just want the ability to get out on the water for yourself, have you looked into fishing kayaks? I have multiple buddies that fish from Yaks and straight up, love them...catch a load of fish and have everything you need to catch those fish with essentially 0 maintenance. 

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

just FYI, the whaletail is a sure sign that you wont be getting anywhere fast in the boat. Especially with friends coming along. The old addage that you want a boat thats maxed out the HP rating is true. Anything less and driving your boat with company will be a slow process. Its not the end of the world obviously...Not everyone needs a fast boat. Getting from A to B and out on the water and off of the bank is enough. Just think ahead of where and how you like to boat. A boat that wont get on plane is not a boat made for 20km rips up the lake to that prime honey hole.

Dead honest question for you siwash...Is your intention to fish with your kids etc? 

If you just want the ability to get out on the water for yourself, have you looked into fishing kayaks? I have multiple buddies that fish from Yaks and straight up, love them...catch a load of fish and have everything you need to catch those fish with essentially 0 maintenance. 

I have a kayak. They are fun but have their limits. Also have a canoe. Same. Use them for places like Grundy where you can't use a motor boat. Using them less these days.  

kids will come along, more my son. They do want to tube. Sounds like this Princecraft might not be the best thing for that. 

the seller messaged me. He claims it'll do 28/29 mph with two adults and some gear.  32 solo.  Is he telling the truth? Who knows .. so many of us lie these days!

That speed is adaequate for me  

Edited by siwash

4 hours ago, siwash said:

No. What do you guys think of a project boat?  Motor is apparently solid (I'd want to have that checked first). Boat needs a new floor and carpet.  Trailer is good except for tires.  Just like to think outside the box... if i got this for say $3500, what would it cost to get this water worthy?

this is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/share/8WBhJzdR1BELQ63A/?mibextid=79PoIi

IMO it looks like it needs more than a floor!

I took an everything out of a boat last year.  
that boat will cost $3000 and 150hrs(and I work fast) to rebuild.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The PrinceCraft boats seem to hold thier value pretty good I've noticed and there are alot of them on the water still. Did you talk to the owner? it's been listed for 3 weeks, so he should be ready to budge on price. Looks like some carpet is tore up at the back. Plenty of places to launch for a test. 

If you have to pay someone to rebuild a boat, run away.

I have a 14.5 sc simular to the princecraft and it will run 24-25mph with a 25hp 4 stroke and 500lbs in the boat. 

How far do you have to travel to see the boat? I tried to call, but it goes to a busy signal. If I can reach the fella I might be able to determine if it's worth the trip. I'm in Owen Sound also. If indeed it was garage kept it's entire life, then it stands a chance of still being solid. The oiler is disconnected, so your mixing gas.

That would be great.. sure. I thought I could go up in the next night or two, but won't be able to... not til weekend and it might go by then.  Let me know.  he seems to respond to Instant messaging.  Where did you see it? Kijiji or Facebook?  The carpet is no biggie..

I came across a really nice tiller.. 17' price is decent.. boat looks great. 

A lot of you like tillers.. sell me on it.. why would you pick one over a steering wheel?

A friend has the identical boat with a 50 yamaha on it. He does fine with it.

Tillers have less headaches as they age and for me, my electronics and downrigger are all right in front of me. No trying to watch depth, fish and turning to see your rod all the time. Never even have to stand up  to land a fish. lol

I'd still have a tiller if my shoulder didnt complain so much

1 minute ago, strik said:

Lots of great advice here... number 1 be ready to move quickly if your looking for a deal....

if it is a deal and still for sale a month later ask why.......

I noticed that!   I check marketplace 15 times per day.. maybe more.. this guy happened to post it while I was driving home then had stuff to do around the house..If I'd have seen it earlier, i might have put an offer.. 

Just got back from seeing the boat, your the reason it's marked as pending I assume. He told me how much he came down and I nearly brought it home with me. lol It's a solid boat. I crawled all throught it and no sign of rot. Carpet got eaten by a gas spill. turned the old carpet to jelly in that spot. Short of a water test, i'd say it's worth going to see. It's been well taken care of and his new boat is on the way. He has it ready for water test. Apparently everything is functional. His kids, wife and 2 dogs were in the boat alot. Reason for the hydrofoil. Gearcase was replaced a couple years ago. :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, slwndwn said:

Just got back from seeing the boat, your the reason it's marked as pending I assume. He told me how much he came down and I nearly brought it home with me. lol It's a solid boat. I crawled all throught it and no sign of rot. Carpet got eaten by a gas spill. turned the old carpet to jelly in that spot. Short of a water test, i'd say it's worth going to see. It's been well taken care of and his new boat is on the way. He has it ready for water test. Apparently everything is functional. His kids, wife and 2 dogs were in the boat alot. Reason for the hydrofoil. Gearcase was replaced a couple years ago. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks so much!  I don't think he put it up as pending for me...  I was not 100% committed...  I guess another buyer came along 

Is it a spacious layout?  So 4 could fit? 

Edited by siwash

He said he got it ready today for you to come see it. He didnt say anything to me about anyone else coming. 

If you want a boat for 4 adults to be comfortable in, then you need a much bigger boat. lol

But wife and a couple kids  getting out a few hours, it's fine.