Anyone know a good rod for beginners?

manly man

Hello, 

I have never fished before. What is a good fishing rod I can buy which is also not very expensive? Looking to spend under 130 Canadian dollars (170 max).

A rod that is good for small and big fishes, durable because I've never done it and don't want it to break because I pulled it too harshly. Specifically a good rod for catching salmon in a river (credit river on Ellington, erindale Park osprey marsh etc.). For a man who is around 5'9 or 5'10. Would ugly stik carbon be good?

Also do I need a license to fish or nah? I'm 21 yrs old. And how much does the license cost and where can I buy it?
Edited by manly man

4 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

My recommendation would be to visit your local tackle shop. They'll answer all your questions. If you're in the west GTA, I'd suggest Fishing World in Hamilton.

Thank you for the suggestion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loonietoon said:

In Hamilton go to Bill's Bait on Upper James they won't steer you wrong.

Thank you for the location. I am in mississauga, near Oakville. so I might have to see which of the places near me have the highest reviews.

5 hours ago, manly man said:

Also do I need a license to fish or nah? I'm 21 yrs old. And how much does the license cost and where can I buy it?

YES you need a license.  Read up on the fishing regulations!  Fines can and do cost a lot for out of season fish.  

Just now, GBW said:

YES you need a license.  Read up on the fishing regulations!  Fines can and do cost a lot for out of season fish.  

Thank you for letting me know. Where can I read the rules and regulations?

Regs are a good start

Not sure if Frank is still in business but Bronte Outdoors on the Lake shore in port credit would be a great place to start.

He is a great guy tell him Peter sent you

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BITEME said:

Regs are a good start

Not sure if Frank is still in business but Bronte Outdoors on the Lake shore in port credit would be a great place to start.

He is a great guy tell him Peter sent you

I was thinking about going to that one, seeing it had good reviews. Thank you