Can a lower end be rebuilt?

AKRISONER

Hey guys, I’m totally oblivious, but I’ve finally determined what’s wrong with my outboard…I’ve completely blown the lower end. So bad there is no oil left in gear casing.

im assuming the damage internally to the housing would be so severe you couldn’t “rebuild”

maybe I’m totally wrong, let me know if you’ve had any experience with this. 

I’ll add, it’s a 200hp motor so it’s high power, and when it finally blew I was doing 7mph not that I’m sure that makes that much difference. Let me know what you think.

I have a friend that is a marine mechanic and runs his own shop. At the end of boating season and has finished winterizing his customer's boats. He pulls out all the failed items that he has stored over the summer. He checks out what is rebuildable and what is only worth salvaging parts from. After listing his inventory of bits and pieces. He orders what he needs to rebuild what he feels is worth rebuilding. The last time I was in his parts room, there must have been 25 to 30 lower end units hanging on the wall; just waiting to go. He's told me many times that boat repairs are an OnDemand repair. Meaning whether it be a pleasure boat or a fishing boat; the customer wants it fixed NOW so they can get back on the water. My friend doesn't rip anyone off but time and opportunity does delegate the price. Simple question to the customer; you want back on the water tomorrow or in 4-5 weeks? I say good on him for working through the winter getting ready for next season. Well worth the extra few hundred to the customer; when his other option is sitting on the beach watching the other boats go by. LOL 

Dan...  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DanD said:

I have a friend that is a marine mechanic and runs his own shop. At the end of boating season and has finished winterizing his customer's boats. He pulls out all the failed items that he has stored over the summer. He checks out what is rebuildable and what is only worth salvaging parts from. After listing his inventory of bits and pieces. He orders what he needs to rebuild what he feels is worth rebuilding. The last time I was in his parts room, there must have been 25 to 30 lower end units hanging on the wall; just waiting to go. He's told me many times that boat repairs are an OnDemand repair. Meaning whether it be a pleasure boat or a fishing boat; the customer wants it fixed NOW so they can get back on the water. My friend doesn't rip anyone off but time and opportunity does delegate the price. Simple question to the customer; you want back on the water tomorrow or in 4-5 weeks? I say good on him for working through the winter getting ready for next season. Well worth the extra few hundred to the customer; when his other option is sitting on the beach watching the other boats go by. LOL 

Dan...  

Dan, do you care to share your friend’s info? I’m not concerned about when I get back on the water, as long as it’s before June 15th 2024

18 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Dan, do you care to share your friend’s info? I’m not concerned about when I get back on the water, as long as it’s before June 15th 2024

Wright Choice

If you do want to contact Lee at Wright Choice, tell him Uncle Danny gave you his info. Lee was my nephew by marriage; but my niece and him have divorced a number of years ago. Lee is a good guy and I have no ill feelings towards him that's why I call him a friend in my first post.

Dan....   

• Like 1