If I could have only 1 rod (casting edition)

KraTToR

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried so many different brands and have settled on Loomis rods. I know they are pricy but the warranty and customer service has been great. 25 years ago my wife bought me my first loomis rod. A $350 spinnerbait rod that I cherished and took care of for years. During year 15 I broke it in the livewell hatch. Full warranty replacement for $12. So now I’m on year 25 of my initial $350 investment. I understand that the warranty has changed but for me you get what you pay for. Truthfully any high end line up deserves attention since all manufactures make a great rod. For me an all around rod is a GLX 7ft 4 meduim heavy. Can do almost anything with that rod 

C8D6CA54-88C6-49A7-8349-0F8AB40C951D.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/24/2024 at 3:42 PM, OhioFisherman said:

Jeez...If you add up the cost of "our favourite rods by technique" list, it comes close to $20,000. Don't think there's a rod on that list for under $400, and bunch of the NRX+ that are on there are north of $900 each.

And that's just for Bass fishing...then start adding up Musky, Walleye, Panfish, Steelhead rods on top of that..and then of course there's the reels. Plus in 5 years it'll all become "obsolete" and you'll want the "new and improved" models.

Brings to mind the old joke..."I just hope that when I die, my wife doesn't sell my gear for I what I told her I paid for it".

I'm a bougie tackle nerd myself, and I appreciate using a finely crafted tool that's perfectly suited for the job at hand, but a lot of the rods on that "budget" list make a lot more sense..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i like to keep it simple UGLY Sticks. Bait and Spin i could never really justify an expensive rod just to step on it crush it in a door all that good stuff.

I will go toe to toe with any fancy($$) rod out there and catch just as many fish

now reels im not opposed to chucking some money at nothing crazy but i get what i want. Just fish dammit!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BITEME said:

i like to keep it simple UGLY Sticks. Bait and Spin i could never really justify an expensive rod just to step on it crush it in a door all that good stuff.

I will go toe to toe with any fancy($$) rod out there and catch just as many fish

now reels im not opposed to chucking some money at nothing crazy but i get what i want. Just fish dammit!!

I beg to disagree, there are situations where you're better off spending the money on a quality rod, rather than on a quality reel. 

If you're throwing a reaction type bait like a crankbait or spoon.. the rod doesn't really matter that much, other than having enough backbone to toss the lure and enough flexibility to keep the fish pinned. However, with something like a finesse bottom-contact presentation, say a drop shot or a jig, a decent rod will absolutely make a difference in putting more fish in the net. A good rod will not only let you feel the lightest of nibbles, but also the bottom composition (mud, sand, rock, etc). The reel in this case is just basically a line holder.

Ugly Sticks are designed to be indestructible not sensitive. As an example...even a mid-priced rod like a 7ft med Fenwick HMG  weighs less than 5 oz. A 7ft med Ugly Stick weighs over 8 oz. Simple physics tells you which rod is more sensitive.

Must admit they're great rods if you're in the habit trying to break 'em...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CrowMan said:

I beg to disagree, there are situations where you're better off spending the money on a quality rod, rather than on a quality reel. 

If you're throwing a reaction type bait like a crankbait or spoon.. the rod doesn't really matter that much, other than having enough backbone to toss the lure and enough flexibility to keep the fish pinned. However, with something like a finesse bottom-contact presentation, say a drop shot or a jig, a decent rod will absolutely make a difference in putting more fish in the net. A good rod will not only let you feel the lightest of nibbles, but also the bottom composition (mud, sand, rock, etc). The reel in this case is just basically a line holder.

Ugly Sticks are designed to be indestructible not sensitive. As an example...even a mid-priced rod like a 7ft med Fenwick HMG  weighs less than 5 oz. A 7ft med Ugly Stick weighs over 8 oz. Simple physics tells you which rod is more sensitive.

Must admit they're great rods if you're in the habit trying to break 'em...

I agree, a quality rod is more important than a quality reel, especially for walleye and bass. But it is nice to hold a piece of quality (reel) in your hand..lol

• Like 1