French River vs the Loring area - which would you choose to fish?

siwash

We have a last minute opportunity to hit one of these areas in mid-Oct (13-16). Matthews Little Portage Camp has availability on Lake Memesagamesing (which I have never fished but heard some decent things about it).  We have also considered the West-Arm/French River system... distance-wise about the same. Between the Loring area and the French system, which would you say has the better fishing? We camped at Grundy in late June and did pretty well considering we've never fished it.. and that was just off the highway. 

Any recommendations for cabin rentals along the French system?  

Thanks!

Edited by siwash

6 hours ago, siwash said:

Any opinions on Memesagamesing Lake?

I fished Memesagamesing for a weekend 20 years ago. A bunch of dink Smallmouth, but not much else. But who knows, things change.

West Bay/Arm of Nipissing is a great multi-species fishery...lots of water to fish and shots at big Musky. Just make sure you have a chart, and follow the "travel routes"... the prop repair guys love that water...

Edited by CrowMan
  • Thanks 1

When given a choice to fish Nippissing, I generally fish Nippissing.  So many species and generally readily available.  Even though our camp is closest to Lavigne, I usually drive the extra 15 minutes and fish the east end.  I’m mainly a pickerel fisherman and that’s where really good fishing is, although we get plenty of Pike and Bass on the east end of the lake as well.  Weather (winds) can be a factor though and west end is probably a fair bit more protected than main basin.  I made at least one hairy ride back from the Manitous this summer.  I have heard that you don’t need to run as far out for pickerel in the fall from the west end, but that’s just from talking to guys at the Lavigne boat ramp.  I really only know the area around Lavigne on the west end  and that’s good bass and pike country, I don’t generally target pics around there.  Not a musky guy though, so can’t help with that!

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We stayed a few years ago at https://www.wajashkcottages.com on the Nipissing end of the French River system.  We were there in June and had a lot of success with walleye and even had some random Muskie excitement.  Lots of eater sized walleye in the 2-3lb range.  Cottages were simple but clean and quite inexpensive.   We had our own private dock in front of the cabin and they sell gas and bait.  Would go back for sure.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DaddyMac said:

We stayed a few years ago at https://www.wajashkcottages.com on the Nipissing end of the French River system.  We were there in June and had a lot of success with walleye and even had some random Muskie excitement.  Lots of eater sized walleye in the 2-3lb range.  Cottages were simple but clean and quite inexpensive.   We had our own private dock in front of the cabin and they sell gas and bait.  Would go back for sure.

I contacted them yesterday... looks nice.  Unfortunately they close Thanksgiving weekend.. We are learning that a lot of places close thanksgiving.  Maskinonge resort is open though.  oct15 will be their closing.  Looks like we might end up there - it's literally right next to the provincial park.  My buddy loves to hike and they have trails there so he'll be happy if we end up there.  Lakair is just south of there.  My feeling is that either the West Arm or the Upper French will be better fishing than Memesagamesing Lake.  And it seems that several of you are saying as much.  Bigger system, more variety, great scenery too.  Maskinonge is a bit more expensive than some of the other places but the cottages are nice.