Attention: young guns! What does this mean?

akaShag

As some of you may recall, I am technologically challenged.  I just got this email, and understand the words, and the desire to sell me stuff, but DO I NEED IT?

THE ONE-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION WILL EXPIRE IN A WEEK ON:

US & CANADA
US_CAD

We make up to 5,000 updates every day

Click the button below to order a new card1 at up to 50% less than an original chart purchase.
Be sure you log in your account to access the discounted price.

With your replacement card, you can continue accessing the very latest content and advanced features:

• Dock-to-dock Route Guidance technology2
  • Advanced Map Options
  • Plotter Sync
1If you replace your old card with a new card, your old card can no longer be updated
2Dock-to-dock Route Guidance is for planning purposes only and does not replace safe navigation operations
NOTE: After your subscription expires, it is possible to renew your subscription by using your existing card through the Navionics Chart Installer.

Please do not reply to this message. Replies will be sent to an uncontrolled mailbox.
Copyright © 2023 Garmin Italy Technologies. All rights reserved.
Garmin Italy Technologies S.r.l. a socio unico, Via Fondacci 269, Z.I. Montramito Massarosa (LU), IT 55054 Italy

End of their email message.

CAN I CONTINUE TO ACCESS NAVIONICS WITHOUT BUYING A NEW CARD?  It is in a Helix 7, if that matters.

Thanks for helping out an old fart.

Doug

Yes, you did not need the updates if you don’t want them and you can still use the card for all functions you already have 

however you may want to see if there are any free updates that are av today and update it if there are 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a "Young gun" but Terry is correct. Your card will still work as it always has, you'll miss out on any updates going forward. I usually renew every 3-4 years but lets face it, the bathymetry really doesn't change that much :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BillM said:

No, you'd plug your card into your laptop, the Navionics app would pop up and it would tell you to update them.  Do that before your subscription is over.

Many thanks!  IIRC it was you who showed me (with a photo on here) how to find the teeny little slot where the card fits.  I am going to look for that right soon!

Doug

• Like 1

OK, we have success!  With the aid of a set of "cheaters" (I don't wear glasses), and a bright flashlight and a set of needle nose pliers I was able to get the micro mini teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini SD card out of the clever hiding place and got it updated.  Hallelujah! Hopefully I can also put it back.

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

I think I need to hire one of you folks for a morning to teach me how to use my Helix..........🙄

Doug

• Like 1

I think I need to hire one of you folks for a morning to teach me how to use my Helix..........🙄

Hey Doug....next time we're out, I'll do a little more show & tell. We were probably too busy with the Crappies and yakking about everything else  to spend any time in class..

Just remember, keep pressing "VIEW" until you see the screen the way you like it...😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrowMan said:

next time we're out, I'll do a little more show & tell.

SOLD!!!  I got to thinking (which is a dangerous activity for a man like me), and I realize that I spend very little of my time at the stern of the boat where I have the graph, and rather spend most time on the bow casting platform with the bow-mount electric.  I already knew why guys have two (or more) graphs, but did not really want to have something else up front in the way.  So I do not actually spend much time looking at the graph and learning how it works.

The last time I REALLY understand my graphs, it was a Lowrance X-16 (paper) in the boat, and a Lowrance Z-6000P portable everywhere else.  I really did understand them.  But I also wore a younger man's clothes.............and my head wasn't full of all the KNOWLEDGE from the last 30 or 40 years. 🙄

Doug

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, dave524 said:

Bet you would be surprised how old most of the data is

When I used to use paper charts, literally all over the province as far north as Temagami, the data was often from decades earlier.  I am guessing that some of that data has never been updated, due to the work involved.

Doug

12 hours ago, dave524 said:

Bet you would be surprised how old most of the data is

Not surprised at all, where do you think they got the data from?  The original hydro charts, lol!    

Any spots I fish with any frequency I just turn on Autochart Live and make my own maps anyhow.   

Edited by BillM
  • Like 3

Charts don't change much, but for Lowrance users, you lose the advanced map options which is helpful for highlighting a single range and shallow water. Sucks to renew yearly. Might try C Maps although from looking at there viewer online, Navionics seems to superior.