Steering system and console.

glen

Is a quicksilver steering system any good? It is stuck. Is it worth while to unstick it? Can I get it working good again?
I see new steering wheel and cable is about $300.  
also I want a new console. The one I’m using is too small.  Store bought look to be about $500. it would be nice to have aluminum. But it would be easier to build out of wood.  I plan on putting a glove box in it.  I wonder if boat recyclers would have what I need.  
Any thoughts welcome.  

I replaced my cables with this unit which was really much easier than trying to feed the cables through the chase. It has no feedback and has performed flawlessly for 8 years now. It also will allow you to vary the length of the run so it fits perfectly. Once a cable goes stiff it is because it is full of bits of rust and frayed cable. You can lubricate it temporarily but when it breaks it is a long trip back to the dock.    https://www.westmarine.com/dometic-baystar-outboard-steering-system-3400934.html

cheers

Art

21 hours ago, aplumma said:

I replaced my cables with this unit which was really much easier than trying to feed the cables through the chase. It has no feedback and has performed flawlessly for 8 years now. It also will allow you to vary the length of the run so it fits perfectly. Once a cable goes stiff it is because it is full of bits of rust and frayed cable. You can lubricate it temporarily but when it breaks it is a long trip back to the dock.    https://www.westmarine.com/dometic-baystar-outboard-steering-system-3400934.html

cheers

Art

Me too. :)

I think the console will be better if i build it because I’ll get what I want.  
the steering system i posted is ok $ wise if it works good. 
the pedestals are about 100 each but I should be able to find them.  
just starting on the foam now.  

• Like 2