Turkey opener

ckewley

So my very first season trying my hand at Turkey's. I've read a ton, watched a few tons of videos, bought myself a pot call and a few of those mouth calls.....more on those later, and some super duper special turkey load 12G shells, purchased 1 tag & away I go. I've been scoping out areas everywhere in my spare time because hunters are some very tight lipped folks, if you though Brook Trout guy's were bad...nothing on hunters. So putting in the leg work I've found quite a few places where at least a few turkey roam on huntable public land. Gained access to some private land too, which was easier than I thought it'd be. Travelled a huge distanced on Monday as I was out chasing Steel in the morning/afternoon then slept in my car overnight for opener in the morning. Got to my spot around 5:30am and played the wait game. (just noticed I didn't even take the tag off the chair)

IMG_20230425_085732.jpg.83ab3977c82c6ed1975a98ff7601980a.jpg

Started calling around 6am, rain and snow started not to long after that. Now being a newbie I never gave it a second thought but you know what doesn't work all to well in wet conditions, the pot call. That stick gets wet or the surface....nope! Either or I just don't know how to get it  going. Tucked it away till it dried out then zero problems. I didn't hear a single gobble that day. Now I didn't call often, maybe once every 15 or so minutes & I varied up the chirps and purr's but I am new so maybe I screwed up somehow but around 7:30 or so a Hen & 2 Jakes appear out of nowhere about 50-60 yards from me.  They were responding to my chirps 100%. It was raining so it was hard to hear them move across the leave litter but once I spied them my breathing changed, heart started pumping! The hen walked past but the Jakes kept coming closer. I could clearly see a bread on one and he looked to be older than the other. Was the younger one a male....not 100% sure so didn't pay too much attention to "him". The young male got into good range, about 25 yards or so & I.... let him go. Was it foolish, perhaps but I was there for a big Tom and on this day, that wasn't happening. I didn't spook them so I spent the next hour or so just watching them, studying them, fascinating creatures.

Anyway I'll be back at it before closer for sure (sorry about the crappy photo, I had it zoomed in on my phone, the male I gave a pass to, guesstimate 10-15lbs) 

IMG_20230425_102350.jpg.d3649d3c6884ebdc02dc044a3292e6c8.jpg

Edit, I forgot about those mouth calls, they are not for me. I have a serious gag reflex and where those things need to go....nope!!!!!

Edited by ckewley
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, ckewley said:

Edit, I forgot about those mouth calls, they are not for me. I have a serious gag reflex and where those things need to go....nope!!!!!

Me as well,and love the slate call. Just do not get it wet. LOL

Great write up bud.

• Like 1

Turkeys!005.jpg.8a55130e4d937ba4d9b332572c412346.jpgCripes !...All I need to do is sit on my front deck but I believe there is some kind of bi-law against discharging firearms in the village...Oh well ☹️!

I get some of these creatures also but the same bi-law applies...Deers005.jpg.17c5d1f7e1110b552cb79ead02b59fc8.jpg

Edited by Beans
  • Like 3

Turkey hunting, it’s addictive!!! My boys and I chase them every year.  No joy opening morning this year but we’ll find em!!  A couple pics of my oldest sons last 2 birds, I like getting them on birds as much as I like being the trigger man these days!  Try to adjust to the mouth call if you can.  Super convenient and has killed me 90 percent of my birds.  You shoulda hammered that Jake.  You did well for a first hunt!

AAB38EAD-F283-4905-9A0A-C29CBE46322C.jpeg

23E06405-1252-4787-9F1A-BB8097C7CD68.jpeg

Edited by porkpie
  • Like 4

I NEVER let a legal bird pass.  Sure, a tom is bigger and all that, but a jake on the ground is a very good day.  You can always buy a second tag and hold out for a tom.  Just be ready for a meal of tag soup on 1 June.....

• Like 2

I don't hunt but I do have two birds being delivered right to my door by my buddy who just filled his second tag this morning.
He shoots 'em, I smoke 'em then we split the finished meat. It's a good arrangement. :)

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spiel said:

I don't hunt but I do have two birds being delivered right to my door by my buddy who just filled his second tag this morning.
He shoots 'em, I smoke 'em then we split the finished meat. It's a good arrangement. :)

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

Smoked wild turkey is good, but hopefully he also gives you the legs and thighs.  Done in the slow cooker, these are AWESOME as "pulled turkey" and also as pho.  If you want my recipes just shout.

Doug

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Smoked wild turkey is good, but hopefully he also gives you the legs and thighs.  Done in the slow cooker, these are AWESOME as "pulled turkey" and also as pho.  If you want my recipes just shout.

Doug

He absolutely gives me the legs Doug, I've only used them thus far for soup stock.
Actually I did smoke a couple legs a few years ago, wasn't great.
I may take you up on your offer once the goods have been delivered.  ;)