MinnKota going brushless

captpierre

21 hours ago, captpierre said:

Heard on FB that is the word. 
Of course just after I bought my Terrova. 
🫤

I don’t think it will be for all models immediately.

it certainly is starting with the ultrex though, they have to, there’s 3 competitors in the market that have brushless motors and two of them have had them for 4+ years. 

the terrova line is ready for a new Gen model, and probably the ulterra too. The problem you unfortunately are running into is that the demand for the terrova is so extreme still that there’s not enough supply of them, hence absolutely 0 discount on buying a terrova even though a new generational model is due to come out.

By the way don’t be too sad too quick, have you looked at the price of a Garmin force? I’m willing to bet the new brushless terrova will be $1000+ more than the current.

• Like 1

Half the power consumption, quieter, infinite speed control and potentially a longer service life. They are also known as Electronically Commutated Motors (ECM). They use a microprocessor, as opposed to carbon brushes to phase the coils...they also use permanent  magnets.

In my business (HVAC), they have pretty well taken over as blower motors in forced air furnaces. In fact, the Ont gov't (IESO) used to cut you a cheque for $650 if you installed a new furnace with an ECM blower...to encourage you to use less electricity. 

Agree with Akrisoner, considering the Garmin Force TM (brushless) is in the $5k range, I think you're going to see a big increase in pricing from MinnKota.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 3