Leader Strength for Bassin'

Golfisher

For those of you who use fluoro leaders for bassing, what test line do you guys use? This year I began using 8 lb fluoro leaders on 30 and 40 lb Powerpro main lines, and while it has worked great on smallies in relatively uncluttered water, I've snapped the leader on quite a few largies in thick cover. Is moving up to 15 lb good enough, or should I get heavier (or lighter) leader?

Why would you need a flouro lead for fishin bass in heavy cover?

If your running 30 or 40 pound PP as a mainline and as low as 8 for the leader your spending a lot of money for PP that is basically useless?

Great idea for smallies i think but in heavy cover (or light for that matter) i use 50 pound PP, and find that the largies dont mind one bit, and ths plus side is that I Could pull a truck outta the weeds if i had to

It's just that I noticed a huge difference when fishing for smallies with a flouro leader, and so I figured the same would apply to largies as well. Good to hear that largies don't mind PP, as mine is rather discolored and you could probably see it from the moon! Thanks for the input, kemper.

IT does apply to larges as well depending on what your fishing with, not so much when flipping as this is a reation bite, when finesse fishing with tubes, senkos, or any soft bait it does make a difference, 15 pound should work just fine, also you may want to maybe use florocarbin as it has a little more stretch, braid has no stretch, so a lot of the breaks will come from the hook set. Largies have the same eye sight as a smallie so if a smallie can see the line so can a largemouth.

No leader needed for heavy cover largemouth. Just adds an extra bump in the line to get caught up in weeds and what not. Use the 40 lb braid straight, it cuts through the weeds better and you'll never lose a fish to a leader or leader connection failure. I like 65 lb PP or Stren Superbraid myself. Never bother with colouring the line or whatever although maybe it helps. I've had largies bump their nose off the trolling motor going for a frog. They are not that bright. Smallies on the other hand are much smarter. lol That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Charles

I guess it comes down to whatever you feel as in everything else, some think leaders are better some dont its one of those things that is impossible to tell for sure if I use a leader do I get more bites than if I dont, well not sure because I dont fish without one, how many bites will you get with one rig or the next no one can be sure you can think you did but unless the conditions are exactly the same you will never know, yes you can guess maybe one way is better than another, so it comes down to confidence,I believe any time you can take a hurdle out of the way the more you tip the odds in your favour,so because of that I feel if a fish has a harder time seeing my line the better off I am.

It's just that I noticed a huge difference when fishing for smallies with a flouro leader, and so I figured the same would apply to largies as well. Good to hear that largies don't mind PP, as mine is rather discolored and you could probably see it from the moon! Thanks for the input, kemper.

I use 50# stren braid with either a 14Lb or 20Lb depending on cover flouro leader. Yes it does make a difference. Bass ain't stupid.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

My powerpro is also faded but if it bothers you, just spin it onto a new reel/spool from the one its on. The last 50- 70 yards are probably still the colour that you bought it since the sun doesnt get to it.

works for me

Am I the only one that uses mono on every reel?

Don't see any need to spend huge $$ on braided line.

Judging by my avatar picture, mono seems to be doing the job!

I would much rather spend the money on lures (the most important thing).

stoty- you could very well be... but of course averaging out the braid to mon yuo're actually spending more money then the guys who use braid :P ... braid will last 3 or more years, i'm on year 2 right now and haven't turned the braid yet, maybe next year... costed me i think $14. to spool up for 3yrs= $4.75 per year for line ain't too bad.... when i used mono it was changed a minimum of twice a year per spool, $14. for a spool of mono x 3 (330yds per spool for 3yrs)= $14. per year... $10. extra in my pocket for lures :P

Braid is probably cheaper than mono in the long term. But I use it more because I am too lazy or don't have the time to respool often. I have been known to go a full season without respooling with braid. With fluoro or mono, it just has too much memory and you really can't afford not to respool after a while if you're fishing competitively.

For a most, I can easily see 3 to 4 years of use on one spooling of braid. Maybe more?

But the most important thing is personal preference and to use what builds confidence for you. If you believe a fluoro leader gets you more bites... It probably does!

Charles

Edit- Phat-bassturd types quicker than me and beat me to it... :)

Edited by charlesn

I never fish for bass intentionally, but catch plenty of bigguns incidentely while casting for muskies using 65 # Power Pro, 130 # Seaguar fluro leaders and large baits, so their certainly not turned off by heavy, visble line, leaders or big baits.

If their too wimpy to go after it, they ain't worth catchin :thumbsup_anim:

Cnv0069.jpg

Cnv0078.jpg

Edited by lew

hahaha, yes he looks SO thrilled!

those are some nice fish though!!!

hey lew, you wanna take me muskie fishing on stoney one day? my cottage is on clear.

I have never caught a muskie before!

LOL Lew...you look annoyed at those bass. You gotta stop posing for pics with bait sized fish...your reputation is at stake here...haha.

Cliff I was with the man one day when he catches a bass that was big enough for me to stick both hands in it's yap. I was more excited about it than he was :D

Cheers

Whopper

sorry for stepping all over this thread

When im fishing tubes or other slow baits i usually use an 8lb fluro leader. But its all relative to how your going to be fishing. I went on a guided trip on Lake Powell in Utah. The guide had us using 20 fluro leaders dropshotting in brushpiles. So i guess it just depends on the cover and water clarity and whatever else you can think of

Lew ... shouldnt you be at the trailer by now ????

Me I NEVER use a leader for Bass ... but then I also only use mono on my bass rigs .... and yes I consider bass almost as dumb as pike ... if they see it and its time to eat they will eat it .... I have watched them hit on a running shoe as it sunk to the bottom of the lake .... hmmmm maybe I have something there :)

Edited by camillj

I have converted to braid this year.I am using 30lb Stren Super Braid with 9lb diameter has not affected my fishing at all .Caught a nice pike with no leader my Rapala was hooked deeply in its mouth the line was frayed but did not break.If I had mono that Pike would have my Rapala Husky jerk in its mouth.I just got my return on my investment by keeping my expensive lures.And yes I was respooling my rods with Mono twice a year because of line twist and abrasions.In the long run I am saving with braid and I tell less fish stories about the one that got away.Floro carbon leaders are not for me.

This spring I bought some expensive Seagar florocarbon.15 bucks a roll 10lb test.The most fragile crappy mono I have ever purchased.Overated yes its invisible but not worth the hassles it comes with.

Hey Peter, Biteme get with it bud it braid really is better :whistling: .Like Lew says if the little fish won't hit it then they are not worth it.

MTP :P

MONO??? I've got briad thats 8 years old on some of my reels that I'm still waiting to wear out.

And I fish...........Alot! The only time I'll change line is when something new comes out and I'll try the new line on one of my reels.

When I feel the need to use a leader I go with 20# floro Pline. I use to worry about running a leader alot till I met Rocky Crawford quite a few years ago. Said he doesn't even use one on simcoe! And you know what? I haven't had a prob. since.

Bass don't know what fishin line is. Its all about matching your equipment to the presentation you're offering the fish.