Canoe fishing this weekend

danw

Took out my canoe this weekend to go fishing. It was my second time using a canoe. I don't have a boat so this is the next best thing. I shore fish most the time, and catch mainly panfish. I scored my first pike at simco. It was a tough fight, and I didn't really know what to do. And I didn't have a net with me. (Deciding on the folding Rapala net at canadiantire, any recommendations?) We improvised and scooped it out with a bucket. It was a fun experience since I've never caught anything big before. I didn't have a ruler with me but it was about 20-25 inches.

It slipped off the hook just as it entered the canoe. We were lucky. :thumbsup_anim:

IMG_0673.jpg

Welcome and congrats on the first pike. For pike that size you can usually just grab them behind the head and they'll come up fine but I only recommend it if there aren't trebles hooks all over the place (trust me you don't want an upset pike and your hand/finger joined together by a hook at the same time). Of course a bucket works too :)

Welcome aboard Danw, nice report!

i don't think anyone else can tell you better about the "treble hooks flying around" thing than TbayBoy lol... besides the treble watch out for those teeth too eh!

WTG danw on your first Pike. I also fish from a canoe and always wonder if the Pike I've got on the line is going to freak out when he gets to the boat. For those odd times I don't have a net I just give him a little extra time.

I can relate to the treble issues others mention. I was lucky that the treble was extremely sharp and sliced my finger rather than pierced it. After all the hooks we stick in them, its a little justice when they get one in us. :lol:

Welcome to the board.

I often wondered about purchasing some kind of landing net for my canoe and this is what I came up with .

http://www.rushtonlandingnets.com/pontoon_nets.htm

I think Canadian Tire has something comparible from what I remember seeing the last time I was in the fishing department....Defenetely alot more afordable than the nets in this link I'm shure....I like the long handle option and the narrow net for easy storing on the floor of the canoe....

Cheers !!!

Thanks everyone,

I am getting more into fishing this year and I hope I have more reports to show.

Yeah it was tough handling the pike, I felt prickly teeth under the gills so I didn't know how to hold it up properly for a picture. I was scared my fingers get caught or cut.

I also fish from a canoe and always wonder if the Pike I've got on the line is going to freak out when he gets to the boat.

Yeah it does freak out, my canoe was mint clean before the pike. From the picture as you can see it is a mess. It slapped my legs a whole bunch a times. (Ankle socks = bad) My buddy was laughing at me the whole time.

Edited by danw

Stop pike fishing now while you are ahead, they are a dirty stinking fish. Now that I have your attention, congrats. Little pike like that put up the best fight right when you're about to grab them...that's when the flying trebles occur. Prior to getting to the boat, I find they fight like a wet dishrag. When you get it boatside, grab it by its little shoulders and let it know who's boss, don't wuss out or you'll be heading to emerg with hooks through your hand. And once they got you hooked, they'll probably thrash around even more! I'm sure many here could attest to that.