Crappie Ice Conditions!!

NAW

The ice was garbage.  But I don't mind.  Been doing the early ice thing for close to 2  decades now, so I know the rules. 

Didn't have to drive to far north to find some walk able ice.   And as usual, my crew was the first one out this year.  The fishing was OK.  Way more dinks this year that I have seen in the past.  But we still managed to bring home about 20 for the pan. 

No minnows in my area.  Huronia B&T was closed in the morning. So we went at them with soft plastics (not my preference).  The ticket today was a 1/8 ounce tungsten tear drop with a single gulp maggot. 

Maybe one or 2 more trips for crappie, then hopefully Simcoe will be locked up and I can save gas money driving north!!!

20191215_095901.jpg

20191215_124855.jpg

20191215_124828.jpg

20191215_123511.jpg

• Like 6

Nick the fact you found walkable ice within driving too far is very promising. My plans to be out there this past weekend got called off, but im hoping by Friday i can sneak out on mine for some early ice pike!

also what happened to your yellow suit!?

Edited by AKRISONER

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Nick the fact you found walkable ice within driving too far is very promising. My plans to be out there this past weekend got called off, but im hoping by Friday i can sneak out on mine for some early ice pike!

also what happened to your yellow suit!?

I sold the Banana suite to my buddy last year, and got a 2 piece.   Much nicer for fishing in the hut. 

15 hours ago, misfish said:

I am thinking ya. We need a new crazier then us guy these days. LOL

You two have been to that spot with before.  Maybe 15 years ago.  If you recall following my in the VW golf in about a foot of snow until the back road began, then I jumped in to the back of Terry's liberty and we 4x4'd our way in! 

The ice wasn't much better this time around!!!

16 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

a bannana suit for fishing seems like a bad omen anyways probably better you got rid of it 😂

Funny thing about that is.... The guy I sold it to is my good buddy, and he out-fished me almost 3 to 1 last year in the dam banana suite!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chris.brock said:

Nicely done! I bet it felt good to get back on the ice.

100%.  Felt amazing!

20 minutes ago, misfish said:

That long ago ? Seemed like just yesterday we were there. Right Terry,,,,,,,,,,,,,😎

It does seem like yesterday.  Might have only been 10 years ago.  

I bought my VW golf in October 2006.  And sold it in 2010.   So sometime in that period.  I was way off with my guess of 15 years!!  

With the -26 temps the next 2 nights, it will firm up the nasty layer of water between the 2" of clear and the 1.5" of froze slush I was on this weekend.