Anyboby Have A 4stroke Efi Outboard

fishindevil

just wondering if anyone has a 4 stroke EFI,my new 40hp it seems will not troll down there is no adjustment for the fast idle and the engine manual doesnt show anything ,or where to set up the speed even in gear on slow i still do over 2mph thats awfull fast for even aproaching a dock or trolling.from the info i get from the manual,it has to be a timing belt adjustment ,it says on the engine that idle speed is 775rpm,and in gear as well ...man it seems fast,just wondering im getting a trolling plate put on tommorow

I have a 2001 Honda 4 stroke efi that idles at 500rpm I can troll with it no problem. I would suggest you google search the make/year of your motor and maybe you will find a PDF format file on it with a better understanding of where adjustments can be made to idle down your motor.

You can also google boaters forum and inquire your problem there

Hope this helps and good luck

I have a 50 h.p. 4 stroke bigfoot merc (4 carbs) and it idles/trolls between 3-3.8 mph, I have a trolling plate I'm going to install too.

I'm right there with ya Dawg...my 115 did 3.7 miles per hour idling. 2 pool chlorine buckets hooked to the front side cleats. brought it down to 2.1 nicely and found you don't even hear them. I thought they'd bang the hull sides and they didn't.

Edited by irishfield

Fishindevil I have the same motor as you.But mine is a 50 h.p merc four stroke E.F.I.I don't know what the r.p.m's are at an idle but it will troll as slow as 2m.p.h.When trolling for walleye I use my 4h.p kicker.When I am trolling into the wind I use my 50 h.p.I think you may want to look in to a small kicker motor.You can usually find a small 2004-2005 4h.p for around 700.00.If you want I will give you a good deal on mine.Just send a p.m

I have a 115 HP merc. And I use a DRIFT SOCK behind my boat it works very well . And I can control my speed from O UP TO 3 MPR. IT works great . I hope to get a small kicker for next years fishing only because of the high gas prices and the hours put on the big motor. I have seen too many trolling plates come off or tare off . Just my 2 cents. DRIFT SOCKS ARE GREAT.

MR. PIKE

yes carp i was under that impression as well,it just trolls way to fast ,thanks for all you guys input,im gonna put the trolling plate on it tommorow and see what happens,if that doesnt suit my needs,cause i hear that with the trolling plate your boat can be hard to steer,last weekend at quinte i put my drift bag behind the boat and i could not steer at all. it sucked ,well i might need a small kicker......dam there goes another $1000 :dunno::blink::huh:

fishndevil, I use a trolling plate on my 90HP Merc in the spring when I want to go very slow and have never experienced any steering difficulties at all. It works exceptionally well for slowing the boat down, infact, I sometimes have to increase the throttle to speed up a bit.

Over the years I've tried towing the driftsocks & buckets but always found them to be a pain, specially when trolling at night, but have never had any issues whatsoever with the plate.

Once the musky season opens and slow trolling speeds are no longer required, it takes me 2 minutes to remove the plate and store it away till next year.