NF Drywall Taping question (removal of popcorn)

Raycaster

Trying to get in brownie points before fishing season.

Wife wanted popcorn stucco removed from ceiling so I started with the dining-room 12X10. Used a 12" taping blade and knocked all popcorn down, soaked, and soaked, then removed the rest with a 6" putty knife being careful not to scar drywall. The ceiling has been painted many times over the last 25 years so it was brutal and took 2 days! I then skimmed with a 90 min set coat (noob too thick) and then primed and painted. Only skimmed 1 coat and seemed pretty flat (14" blade). I'd give it a 9/10.

OK, living room time and twice as large.

I have knocked the popcorn off again but wondering if I can just avoid the 2 days of scraping and instead go with 2 skim coats?

I've watched a ton of youtube videos but most ceilings have not been primed and painted over 25 years hard as granite!

This guy is my hero:

I removed a crap load of popcorn during my reno.  But I did it the exact same way you did, soaked it with a bug sprayer (This helped alot) and used the super big trowels from Princess Auto (I'm guessing they are 12-14in long)...   Two skim coats then sand.  Not fun.   

Are you thinking of skimming right over the popcorn?   Eh...   I dunno how that's going to work out.  

Edited by BillM

Yeah, I dunno if I'd tackle popcorn that's been painted.   You're just asking for more and more headaches.  Do what Sinker said, tongue and grove pine, paint it white, voila!!!  Happy wife!  lol

It would probably be faster just to drywall over it and lose the 3/8in of ceiling height.  

Edited by BillM

6 hours ago, Raycaster said:

The popcorn texture has been painted so may times 1/2 way thru the job your truely wondering if you should just re drywall.

For this reason, I'm told to just fill over, skim, and sand. Forget about scraping painted popcorn. Mind you, both times I had to, I called a pro.  

so i bought a 100 yr old house with  popcorn ceilings and we hated it... In the process of removing 12 layers of wall paper i found the the wall paper  steamer did a GREAT job of removing the popcorn ceiling...

21 hours ago, Smokercrafty said:

For this reason, I'm told to just fill over, skim, and sand. Forget about scraping painted popcorn. Mind you, both times I had to, I called a pro.  

Geez you got lucky! That “pro” came my way had a look booked a date and never showed up and not returned my calls. Nice guy otherwise.