Minor surgery ice fishing and me

Acountdeleted

Hey everyone. I'm having super minor surgery (stomach hernia surgery) on the 16th. Doctor says no lifting and strain for 4-6 weeks and I'll be off work for a while. 

Anyone who ice fishes have this before? How long do I have to wait to walk through thicker snow? To turn an auger? I get bored easily. The thought of wasting this brilliant winter is driving me nuts. 

4 minutes ago, misfish said:

That sucks dude.

Time for the GF to step up. You sit on the smitty, and she will drag you out, set up camp. Now that's a keeper. LOL

I would do it, but you aint me type. LMAO

You will be healed just in time for the march bite.:thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

She's in better shape then I am and loves power lifting. If I tell her it will work out her quads she's probably all over it. :P 

save me a seat in March. I'll have a lot of making up to do. 

I had hernia surgery many years ago in the fall. My exit wound when they where done was a cut about 2 inch across. A week was all I could wait before I had to do something other then sitting on my butt at home. Packed my gear and walked a local creek for some steel. Some muddy banks and steep climbing along the way. Just took it slow ...and I mean slow.... no problems. Couple days go by and I loaded up the boat to hit a fall perch spot solo on Simcoe which involves launching the boat into a creek and rowing out to deeper water before I can use the motor. Survived that as well. The next week I'm going to climb a ladder and clean rain gutters on the roof at the cottage. Two steps up the ladder was all I made. Got a  stabbing pain that told me climbing a ladder was  a very bad idea so I stopped and waited a month or so before I tried again. No problems my second stab at climbing a ladder.

Take it slow and listen to what your body tells you worked for me.  

I had this surgery last year. I was in no rush to push myself, but I went steelheading within 2 weeks of surgery.  I went with a buddy, fished easier water and went slow.  It all worked out.  Do not lift or strain if it can be helped. You won't do yourself any favours.  By all means go ice fishing, just have someone else do the lifting, dragging and drilling!