Power Drive or Terrova

Musky Plug

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎07 at 4:51 AM, Mister G said:

I use my Power Drive V2 70 lb with i-Pilot all the time to slowly pull worm harnesses on Lake Erie. Once you get the speed you want you press the "cruise control" button on the remote and it will hold that speed even if the wind picks up, etc.......also once I set the direction I press the "N" button on the remote and it will insure the boat maintains that direction also. Can't beat that with a Ugly Stick . . .  LOL

It is also great with spot lock for perch fishing on Erie. NEVER use any anchor again while fishing perch.

Because of this TM I have no need for a "kicker" on the back of the boat.

Yes Mister G, it is certainly possible to pull a boat around on this lake with a 70lb thrust i-pilot. It all would be dependent however on the size and weight of the boat, as well what the wind is doing. Some  days when the winds are being nasty my 15 pound kicker isn't enough to keep my StarCraft Superfisherman 190 going where I want it to go. I would need to max out the thrust I think.

19 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

I read that on other forums when I began looking around that that was one of the pitfalls of the PD. Can I use any sonar with the motor? I have an old Eagle fish finder that still works. Would it be adaptable for the Terrova? 

your sonar needs to be univesal sonar compatible. I would think that your old eagle would not be, but i could be totally wrong. You then need to buy the US2 adapter for your sonar which will allow you to plug into the connection on the terrova.

if you are running 3 batteries, you want 1 for your starter livewell and electronics and then the other two exclusively for your trolling motor. Some people like I know Bill M run a fourth battery to not run electronics and the livewell that way there are no concerns about using up your starting battery while you are out on the water.

If you are running that many batteries it can be really worth it to look into a sealed bank charger that allows you to just plug your boat in and get all of the batteries perfectly charged after every trip.

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Yes Mister G, it is certainly possible to pull a boat around on this lake with a 70lb thrust i-pilot. It all would be dependent however on the size and weight of the boat, as well what the wind is doing. Some  days when the winds are being nasty my 15 pound kicker isn't enough to keep my StarCraft Superfisherman 190 going where I want it to go. I would need to max out the thrust I think.

That's when fishing is the best and I go to my drift mode . . .  sit back, drink a good cup of coffee, maybe a cigar and let mother nature push that boat around until the rod bends with another Lake Erie pickerel. . . . :)

1 hour ago, Mister G said:

That's when fishing is the best and I go to my drift mode . . .  sit back, drink a good cup of coffee, maybe a cigar and let mother nature push that boat around until the rod bends with another Lake Erie pickerel. . . . :)

Something I did this year for the first time out here. I tied on a 1 to 2 ounce wire bottom bouncer drifting a harness or a floating jig head with worms. Nothing. Finally got a few using a #5 Mepps Black Fury. Often we get stuck doing the same things over and over again and don't get inventive. Below is one of them on the Black Fury. Hey a milestone, I just posted a pic of my fish.

DSCF1617.JPG

11 hours ago, Musky Plug said:

I've found a minnkota, price is ok but it's been refurbished. Anyone have any thoughts on buying a refurb motors or should I just steer clear of that? 

If I can I always buy refurbished items and have never had a problem with them. My cell phone, Keurig coffee maker, 2 DVR's and this desktop computer just to name a few.