Ice Fishing Great Lakes Harbours and Marina

Got2Bite

While launching the boat I have often wondered what fish swim around the ramps.

A couple of years ago a buddy posted a picture in another forum of a portable ice hut on the Credit River around Lakeshore Blvd (that year we had 18 inches of ice on Simcoe in March).   That image is still in my mind.   I have seen a few tv shows and Youtube videos of guys ice fishing marinas for bows and browns in the States,  I have even seen videos of guys fishing Hamilton Harbour.

While I am looking forward to this years ice fishing season, mainly chasing Jumbos on Simcoe, I wouldn't mind testing the harbours and marina's close to home (Oakville/Mississauga) after work for a few hours.  I am thinking its an untouched winter fishery.

Has anyone tried ice fishing Lake Ontario's North Shore harbours/marinas and what did you catch?

The ice can be dicey.. Some of the ones I fish only have safe ice in really cold years.. Jordan Harbour on Lake Ontario is popular but it swells with the lake and there's a lot of sand and grit embedded in it so it dulls your blades.. 

I tried to fish the mouth of the credit a few years back it was a real cold year . When we got there no ice had to fish the river by the rowing  club.  Got a few weird looks from locals.    Also fished m

eaford harbour.  We setup then the wind kicked up was weird being on 12 inches of ice that was moving up and down that' for sure.  No good fish to show for our efforrts.  

Edited by Freshtrax

When I was a kid I used to fish Bronte and 16 mile in oakville on the ice all the time.  (check regs I think bronte to Rebecca bridge may be a sanctuary now). We used to catch rock bass and perch through the ice all the time and the odd pike was thrown in as well.  

16 mile is a little tougher because the water comes in pretty heavy though the piers so it doesn't freeze well unless you get back toward lakeshore bridge.  I have seen people ice fishing there before but not sure If they caught anything.  We used to fish the pier with minnows or spoons and catch trout in feb in open water.  Again that was years ago but not sure if the regs have changed or if the fishing has changed.  

Would love to see a report tho!  

Cheers!