One person flip-over ice hut

turtle

I'm looking to upgrade my flip over portable hut.  I've had a Frabill Commando for maybe 8-10 years and although still functions needs a repair to the tub and the main issue was the relatively small fishable  area in front (11 sq ft per specs)  I can punch two holes but they can't be side by side and no room for a heater in front.  Any suggestions for a one person flip over with larger fishable area?  I like the flip over style best for moving around when perching on Simcoe.  Thanks. DSC00181.jpg

I don't know what the latest generation of the clam fish trap pro is called, but I had one and it was super roomy for a 1 man.  In a pinch I had 2 grown men in it on a really cold day and we managed.  I'm sure they will have a current version.  I went from that to a 2 man flip, and now I'm back down to a little Frabill flip hut with a pop up hub style  for when I want to take the kids. Can't beat the 44lb weight.l of the little Frabill.

Edited by porkpie

5 hours ago, porkpie said:

I don't know what the latest generation of the clam fish trap pro is called, but I had one and it was super roomy for a 1 man.  In a pinch I had 2 grown men in it on a really cold day and we managed.  I'm sure they will have a current version.  I went from that to a 2 man flip, and now I'm back down to a little Frabill flip hut with a pop up hub style  for when I want to take the kids. Can't beat the 44lb weight.l of the little Frabill.

I agree. If you can find a Fish trap Pro...grab it.  It appears they no longer make them. If you can't find one second hand somewhere, search other hut makers for ones with similar size specs. It will be a sad day for me if/when my trap pro is no longer usable.

Im not sure if you are 100% on a large 1 man. I like my room in a portable. Im a walker .  I have a 2 man clam and in it, I have what I need .  Finder,4 rods, a small box of tackle, small 2 piece shovel, buddy heater and my electric auger. I put the unit on a smitty sled. I dont walk a mile or 2 to my spots, so it,s easy for me. A smitty makes a world of difference ..

What I like best is, it is easy to just flip down, slide it on the smitty and move. On those nice easy move days, I leave it on the smitty. Just use the hut for sitting and fishing. When there is fish around, I toss the flip over. Last thing you want is unwanted guests. :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Chuck Enwinde said:

Take a look at the Frabill Recruit as well.  Bass pro and Sail have pretty much their whole lineups set up on the floor so it would be a good time to check them out..  Popular models seem to sell out quickly..   

Thx for sharing this info Chuck. Looks good. Do you have one?  The pricing is cheaper so I'm concerned about the quality/durability.

I picked up the Rapala Cruzer M1 flip over hut at Sail in Oshawa last night for $299 (reg $449). They had lots left if anyone is interested.

I use a pop up when going with a group but I wanted this for when I'm fishing alone. 

I'm pretty impressed with the quality and space inside. Can't wait to get it on the ice.

3E4BE2C3-2D8E-4C8B-9E4A-F1528CBDF40E.jpeg

Edited by Dutch01

6 hours ago, crappieperchhunter said:

Thx for sharing this info Chuck. Looks good. Do you have one?  The pricing is cheaper so I'm concerned about the quality/durability.

I have a Frabill recon.  Pretty much the same material as a recruit.  It works well enough, but my old trap pro was better. The tub, poles and seat on the recon are sturdy and the design is simple but effective. I've seen nicer portable shacks, but I've seen a lot worse.   Frabill does have the best travel cover on the market with the zipper top though.  I like that feature when I'm prospecting around for fish.

On 11/23/2017 at 1:21 PM, crappieperchhunter said:

I agree. If you can find a Fish trap Pro...grab it.  It appears they no longer make them. If you can't find one second hand somewhere, search other hut makers for ones with similar size specs. It will be a sad day for me if/when my trap pro is no longer usable.

You've got that right! It's my go to hut.