UK Pike Fishing

Tom S

This video popped up on my feed this morning, thought it was one of the better videos I have seen in while and thought I would share.

Well filmed, good commentary. Love the scene at 1:50 where the fly just disappears into this massive mouth.

Wish I could cast a heavy fly that smoothly.

Edited by Tom S

Thanks Tom. Great video. I found it odd the way the one guy sets his hook. He pulls the rod instead of lifting. Interesting.

Thanks again, enjoyed it.

I think you're seeing a strip-set. When fishing for an ambush predator like pike they'll sometimes run up from behind, grab the lure, and keep on running towards the fisherman. Lifting the rod won't take up the slack so you can't set the hook. You've got to strip line until you feel resistance, then continue stripping to set the hook, then when the fish turns you can raise the rod and start fighting. Trout and bass often hit and turn right away so you can just lift the rod to set in most instances (called a trout set)

Back in 04' I did some work in England. I needed a fax machine and would go into Estate Agencies (Real Estate offices) and beg and borrow for their machines. I struck up a conversation with a few guys who were very avid fishermen. Long story short they came to my area and rented a place for a week and caught more trophy Carp then they had ever seen in their lives. They actually bought a place near us and had it for a few years and came every spring into summer and rented it out to other mates. Then I steered them to Florida during the recession, sold here and bought there. I have a standing invite to Fla. on the Gulf, no charge for the last 10 years and we have taken them up on it a few times including this coming January for a month. I love networking. You never know, the next random person you meet may gift you a free place to stay saving 4 grand in rent. We always leave a gift behind like a new BBQ or patio furniture.

Those guys live to fish.

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker