Inline planer boards

evster

I am curious about these inline planer boards. Do they work well? This year we went lake trout fishing with 4 guys in a small boat. Most of the time was spent untangling lines. Next time I go I want to have a solution and these look like they might be just that. Anyone with experience with them? Will it help us from tangling? Do they have any that are strong enough to hold a dipsy diver?

Thanks!

Evan

Hey Evan,

There are 2 good in-line planer boards that are popular.

Church Tackle's Walleye Board - Has a great release that can be used with braided lines. Adjustable keel, and Can support lead core or mini dipsy diver.

i013349sn04.jpg

Offshore Side Planer = Has rubber pad style release, good for mono, not for braid. Can support lead core or mini dipsy diver. For braid you need to upgrade the releases on the boards (~$10-$15)

510-500-00.jpg

I have seen guys running up to 3 boards on each side of the boat. Either model are great in rough water. Be sure to tie a swivel on the line about 4-6' up from your lure, and put a bead in front of it in case the board pops and slides all the way to the end of your line. Without the swivel & bead the board could slide right down to the fish and knock the lure out of it's mouth.

Tony

Edited by tonyb

The Church Boards are awesome planner Boards as long as you have rods heavy enough to handle them ...if not you can also get mini boards .....i run 4 Walleye Boards on each side of the boat all dragging big Dipsy for Walleye on Lake Erie ..and im sure they will do what ya need them to do ..

dipsy divers if used right do the same thing as a planer board does, but does it under water

Church Boards are great and if you buy their clip on weights you done need a dipsy

Offshore Side Planer is also great

Fishmaster I agree, and also a level wind reel is preferrable. Minimum 10-12lb test for the boards (20 or 30lb PowerPro is ideal)

I have seen a 'Pro' rig with the Offshores that allow them to 'skip' in instead of fighting against the pull, but I am not at liberty to share that information :whistling:

Terry, Dipsies do plane but you can only really safely run 1 or 2 at most and they are only effective on spooky fish in deep water as they require depth to get further from the boat. For shallow water, planer boards are the only way to target spooky fish that get pushed to either side of the boat.

Uncle Buck, no the big dipsies will pull the boards under.

I run 4 Big Dipsy off each side of the boat all on inline planner boards ..i would use a M to a MH Rigger or Dipsy Rod for Boards with 50 lb 12 diam Spider Line Stealth is all i use ..stop slipage and line releases from the board ..i don't make the boards so they trip i remove them as they come to the boat ..

Edited by Fishmaster

Very simple Blaque,

Let out however much line you want behind the planer board. Then if you look at the Church Tackle board you can see it has a release clip towards the front of the board, and a slot and pin at the back. You want to TIGHTLY put your line in the release clip (You don't actually want it to release when a fish hits) Then lift the pin up and slide the line into that slot at the back, and the line continues to your lure.

When a fish hits, you are reeling the planer board up to the boat then releaseing the line from the clip and slot in the back and continuing to fight the fish.

IFW0405_BoardShallowsClg.jpg

Tony

Just remember when running multiple boards, say three per side, to run your most shallow running bait on the outside board and deeper for the middle board and deepest for your inside board. That way when you hook a fish on the outside board, you won't have to reel in the other two boards on the same side. We usually run the lead core lines off the inside board... they tend to run baits deeper.

I recommend a minimum 8ft rod, heavy action... Shimano TDR rods are good strong rods and pretty cheap, under $40.00 and can be had at BPS for under $30.00 when they go on sale.

As Tony mentioned, be sure to match the clip to your line. After market clips are available for the Off-Shore boards and you can rest assured that they will not let go!

Once you start planer board fishin, you won't go back to straight trolling! Good luck!~

HH

I guess i get the jist of it, but you guys always have little nuances to add with rings, and beads and stops , and goojiwutzits lol, thats where i always fall behind. Thanks for the overview , Ill try it one of these days. I can gaurantee i will only be running one off each side though lol.

Hey Blaque... no need for beads or anything else... I run 20lb mono, tied to a snap, not snap swivel, and my lure! That's it! Simple to do and very effective.

I personally don't like to run braids off of boards for Walleye's... I like the stretch that mono gives when the fish strike, I believe I land more fish with mono that with braid, of course I'm only talking board fishin, I'm not talkin Dipsey's! Braid is necessary for dipsey's, amoung other things!

You also, may want to consider picking up a copy of "The Precision Trolling guide". It will outline all of the techniques discussed and also provide you with depth charts for most of the popular cranks available.

HH

I find the best lessons are learned when you lose a fish :lol: Hence the swivel/bead combo ahead of your lure in case the planer does release. That being said, you can actually run just a swivel without the bead, but check to make sure it is big enough so that it doesn't slide between the notch at the back of the board.

Mono can stretch up to 30% so if running long leads replace factory hooks with Gamakatsu's or ensure they are sticky sharp!

Tony

Yup, just as Tony said! We all learn from our experiences, each has there own preferences. Give'm a go and you'll like them alot... or, hire a guide for a day on say Lake Erie, watch them like a hawk and repeat!

As I run Offshore boards, I have changed the main clip to the locking kind and have yet to have a fish dislodge the board... I can see how it would happen with churches.

Don't forget Lead core off of the boards...

HH

I run the Off Shore boards with the super snapper release OR-18 in front and the OR-16 red release on the back. Off Shore have a bunch of upgrades that make them very versatile. Last wknd while guid ea had 3 guys learn very quickly how easy to use in line boards are. Let put is this way they got plenty of practice setting boards and reeling in multiple fish.

05_18_07_010.jpg

Hey Evan,

There are 2 good in-line planer boards that are popular.

Church Tackle's Walleye Board - Has a great release that can be used with braided lines. Adjustable keel, and Can support lead core or mini dipsy diver.

i013349sn04.jpg

Offshore Side Planer = Has rubber pad style release, good for mono, not for braid. Can support lead core or mini dipsy diver. For braid you need to upgrade the releases on the boards (~$10-$15)

510-500-00.jpg

I have seen guys running up to 3 boards on each side of the boat. Either model are great in rough water. Be sure to tie a swivel on the line about 4-6' up from your lure, and put a bead in front of it in case the board pops and slides all the way to the end of your line. Without the swivel & bead the board could slide right down to the fish and knock the lure out of it's mouth.

Tony

I have to agree with Tony I have both the offshore and Church boards the church boards are now my favorite.If you want to avoid the tangles do not stop the boat when running multiple lines when landing a fish.If you only have 2 out get your partner to reel in the dormant line quickly stopping the boat will be ok .Had some nasty tangles in Quinte last year.You live and learn.

MTP

Thanks for all the info guys. This spring when lake trout fishing we would troll for close to an hour and then check the lines and realized they were all tangled, and tangled bad. No wonder we only caught fish when we had two lines out :whistling: