Boat Anchor Help (shackles, chain, anchor)

young_one

Young_ one, how big is your boat? That is a good anchor for a sand or sand and mud bottom, I had a similar one on the bow of my 25 foot Searay. The chain gets connected to the anchor with a shackle, I used the ring on the anchor shaft, rope gets connected to the other end of the chain with the other shackle.

My Searay weighed about 5500 pounds, and I used 1/2 nylon rope 150 feet long as the main anchor line. I carried a few lines on the boat and a 20 pound navy type anchor to throw off the rear to keep the boat from swinging around if I was at the beach or had a reason for not wanting swing. The navy type wouldn`t hold the boat as the main anchor if it was rough.

That is not an anchor I would use on a rocky bottom, more often than not it will get snagged on the rocks and stuck bad. A fluted mushroom anchor(river anchor) is ok on a mud or rocky bottom, even cheaper is a gallon sized can filled with cement, you don`t worry about losing them. OK for smaller boats. I carry a 16 pound river type anchor and a 12 pound navy type on my 17 foot aluminum.

Never had to use all my anchor lines, recommended is like 6 feet for every foot of depth you might anchor in.

Order:

Anchor, shackle, chain, shackle, rope.

That anchor (is called a Danforth and does not perform well without the chain. Its needs the weight of the chain to help dig the flukes in and keep the end down. Use it for soft bottoms like Ohiofisherman recommends. The benefit is that it is easier to break loose than other anchors should it ever get stuck. I carry one on my boat, but mostly use a Navy anchor.

Ohio Fisherman,

my boat is no more than 2500lb

Aluminum, not fiberglass

n505661706_107586_5374.jpg

Is it necessary to carry two anchors? Or should I return the current one for a Navy type anchor?

I understand I need a much longer anchor rope

Which one is right? Figure A or B?

Should I use the clip to attach to the 2nd shackle or should I use the other end of the rope to tie a knot?

Figure A (single chain)

n505661706_132299_7843.jpg

Figure B (double chain)

n505661706_132298_6763.jpg

Uncle Buck, "make sure you tie your anchor rope to the boat... "

LOL, I got a hilarious story behind that. :lol:

Thanks for all your help :)

Great job man.....arent we all so helpfull here at OFC....we are a greAT bunch full of all kinds of information....lol..lol well i like the navy anchor i find it the best for a basic all purpose anchor,my boat is about 1,100lbs and my anchor is 20lb navy style,so it works quite well...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

You don't have to keep 2 anchors on board but it is a great idea in certain circumstances and if you lose one your day is not over or even worse your week. The second anchor is really nice to stay over a pinpoint spot. Also if you are buying a new anchor rope buy good quality that doesn't tear your hands apart, and I know its a little more money but I like the pre made anchor ropes that have the eye loop formed right into them with a metal insert.

IMO,

Unless your fishing really deep water, or on a REALLY windy day, you wont need all that for an anchor. All you need is a navy style anchor about 15-20lbs on a good braided nylon rope.

That would be a great set up for fishing whities and lakers on simcoe, in water over 50', I use the same thing. But when I'm fishing reasonably shallow water,say 50' or less, I have a 15lb navy anchor on 75 ft of rope that holds my 16 ft just fine.

All that chain and rope is a pain in the butt, and makes a ton of noise putting it in and out. Not to mention, the scratches you'll put on your new boat with that chain.

Just a heads up......

Sinker