Pigeon is 48 F

captpierre

So whats the rule of thumb? Or is there one? Things start to turn on at 50 degrees? because I tried for some cats last WE in severn and nothing was biting it was around 47.....

I start fishing when the water hits 50 for cats. They are sluggish and have just started to disperse from their winter holes. Catfish are in the winter pattern meaning they are sluggish and in large schools in deep holes and current breaks. If you find the winter spots you can clean out an area of decent cats so as a rule I leave them alone. After 50F they start to move back to their summer patterns areas until 60F then they spawn. They shut down for the spawn but reemerge hungry for the late spring bing. This continues as the water warms up they feed more often. By 70F they are on humps and ambush points and feed 24/7 with weather and water levels driving feeding. The bait you use depends on what you are fishing for but remember a catfish over 7 lbs is top of the food chain eating mainly other fish rather than scavenging from the bottom. I use fresh pork liver or fresh squid for quanity of fish but cut bait for size.

Art

Hey Art...I thought you guys down south caught the cats by noodling ?

I'm running out of fingers. after grabbing a few snapping turtles you start to miss being able to hold a beer. lol

Art