Fishfinder Question

Hey Folks,

My fishfinder no longer reads temperature accurately.

Other challenge is I don't have one at the front of the boat, so when I'm on the trolling motor, which is all the time, I have to constantly ask our depth, etc...not fun.

So, I was thinking of upgrading the main unit, then moving that unit to the trolling motor.

There isn't all that much space for this new unit, so I think a 5 inch screen is the most I can go with.

I went on Ebay and found this -- NEW Lowrance Hook-5 Fishfinder/GPS Combo Mid/High/DownScan Bundle -- for $399 Cdn plus $40 shipping.

Would this be a good option? I see it's about $135 off what it is in stores, without the tax also.

Make sense? Not a fantastic unit I realize, but not that much money either...so it's in my budget...

Glad for opinions!

Thanks!

Kevin

I think that is a good price if in CDN funds Kevin, it's all about budget. I wouldn't stress about not reading temp on a unit. It only reads surface temp anyway. It is what it is, no one is not going to fish because of what the temp is, are they?

Move your old unit up front and mount the transducer on the head of your prop with a large hose clamp. Wire it to your trolling motor battery.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Kevin, that sounds like a reasonable plan since the new unit has GPS. Depending on what make/model your older unit is, you might be able to purchase a puck style transducer which will make the trolling motor mounting much easier and just might fix the temp issue as well. As far as the power source is concerned, I have to disagree with Ironmaker...run a fused power line back to your cranking battery and don't power off your deep cycle batteries. The deep cycle batteries are going to get run down and fluctuate; the electronics need close to 12V to operate and don't like the drop.

It's a Minn Kota Maxxum from 2003, so it doesn't have a transducer built into the head - but I could clamp in to the bottom as OI suggested.

Yes, agreed, temp isn't vital -- I do need something on the front of the boat anyways however...

Make sure to leave enough slack in the cable for the motor to steer.

Do you actually need GPS?

If not, Cabela's has a GPS-less sibling of that unit, called Hook-5x for 419.99 and Lowrence also offers $100 rebate on it.

Sounds like a great idea for $319 CAD, if you don't need GPS (if your old unit has it or if you use your phone for GPS).

Edited by Hedfish

I wouldn't leave the dock without GPS. Saved us from disaster once coming in when the fog was as thick as Pea soup. I didn't take a compass heading.

As far as wiring to the DC battery you guys are right, mine goes to my cranking battery. No interference on my front sonar that is strapped to the prop. I never use it anyway, I call front mount trolling motors Hood Ornaments for the type of fishing we do 90% of the time. For others it is a must have and I get that.

I wouldn't leave the dock without GPS. Saved us from disaster once coming in when the fog was as thick as Pea soup. I didn't take a compass heading.

As far as wiring to the DC battery you guys are right, mine goes to my cranking battery. No interference on my front sonar that is strapped to the prop. I never use it anyway, I call front mount trolling motors Hood Ornaments for the type of fishing we do 90% of the time. For others it is a must have and I get that.

Yup I do the same thing, wire the fish finder to the cranking battery. On my old boat that did not have a cranking battery I did what Porkie suggests, I used my ice fishing 12V 7Ah SLA battery, but if you go that route with a unit that has GPS take a spare 7Ah with you, GPS eats batteries I find.