Auto inflate pfds

pike slayer

I have had a Nautalist my wife paid around 250 for 8 years now. Still charged and not a scratch or tear or wear. I bought another Nautalist a few years ago on sale for less than 100 bucks at Fishing World in Hamilton for whomever is on my boat and they wear it or shore fish. It doesn't look as robust a material as the original though, but for 100 bucks it's a no brainer. I wouldn't be without one. I don't know about a dissolving tablet, I would think hydrostatic means "auto inflate once wet"? Mine look like they have a C02 cartridge that inflates them, auto inflate would be safer I believe. My next one if there is a next one will be auto inflate. We are on Lake O or Erie 99% of the time. I wouldn't like to wear a regular PFD all day so that's why I got these. It drives me bonkers seeing my pals who couldn't swim across a 40 gallon barrel keep their 50 year old PFD's somewhere on their boat that wouldn't fit their grand kids, some old guys think they will live forever. You don't even realize it's on. I have found myself driving home and notice it's still on me. Great to hear you are getting 1, get 2.

Now that I am thinking about it I should flog these and get 2 auto inflate models. A bad accident and it could save a life if you lose consciousness. I am wondering if they will automatically put you face up in the water? Floating face down isn't good.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

There's a cheaper tablet model stays dry even in heavy down pours but once submerged for 2 seconds it dissolves and sets it off. There's the more expensive hydrostatic that works by water pressure. I'm trying to figure out what would be more reliable/safe. I swim like there's blocks tied to my ankles and I always wear my life jacket and want something more comfortable. I would think all life jackets are designed to keep your head out of the water. And I know lots of guys that are like I'm good I can swim... ya ok there bud!

I would think all life jackets are designed to keep your head out of the water.

That's the difference between a life jacket and a PFD. A life jacket is designed to keep your head above water even if you are unconscious. A PFD only provides floatation. Most non-inflatables are PFDs. I think the inflatiables are actual life jackets; but don't quote me on that.

John you are right, not all PFD's will automatically keep your head upright. The large collar on some will keep your head upright. If you look at what the military guys and Coast Guard guys wear you will notice the larger collar on the back on most but not all.

Albert, so you wear a PFD now. Good man.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I just bought the Cabellas Guidewear 3500 auto inflate PFD when they had their most recent sale. It has the disolving bobbin / pill system. The bobbin with CO2 cartridge recharge kit is around $30 to replace whereas the hydrostatic recharge kit is closer to $90 . I bought a recharge kit t keep on board the boat. Then if I fall in , I can refold the pfd bladder and recharge and use the pfd once it dries out rather than waiting till I get back to a store to buy one. I also bought the Cabellas next one down in value to compare the two . I will be returning that one. Too bad you didn't live closer I'd sell it to you at the sale price I got it for. ( I think the sale is over now)

John you are right, not all PFD's will automatically keep your head upright. The large collar on some will keep your head upright. If you look at what the military guys and Coast Guard guys wear you will notice the larger collar on the back on most but not all.

Albert, so you wear a PFD now. Good man.

Ever since some Bozo tied an anchor rope around my seat base lock, yeah.... :whistling::canadian:

That's the difference between a life jacket and a PFD. A life jacket is designed to keep your head above water even if you are unconscious. A PFD only provides floatation. Most non-inflatables are PFDs. I think the inflatiables are actual life jackets; but don't quote me on that.

There's only 1 approved inflatable life jacket in Canada (Mustang MD3157), all other inflatables are considered PFDs.

There's currently a decent sale on the cabelas American website. I'm also deciding between the regular 2500 cables and the angler/guide wear inflatables

It needs to have Canadian approval to be legal in Canada. If buy from the U.S., there is a risk that it may not be approved for use in Canada. It will still be safe to use; but it won't count towards your required one PFD for each person on board.

Ever since some Bozo tied an anchor rope around my seat base lock, yeah.... :whistling::canadian:

I had to tell you something so your athletic prowess didn't come into question. And come to think of it if indeed that was the root cause you Sir were the anchor man that day. Nice Jumbo's though eh Albert. I've been back there many times since and someone always gets at least 1 14 plus inch Perch, best day was 8 14" or over. We will keep the GPS location to ourselves.

Y

I had to tell you something so your athletic prowess didn't come into question. And come to think of it if indeed that was the root cause you Sir were the anchor man that day. Nice Jumbo's though eh Albert. I've been back there many times since and someone always gets at least 1 14 plus inch Perch, best day was 8 14" or over. We will keep the GPS location to ourselves.

You are going to have to refresh my memory, via PM of course.

i have a cabellas guidewear...i swear by it and would recommend it to absolutely everyone. I friggin love the thing and literally wear it 100% of the time that im in the boat.

Anything that I am comfortable wearing 100% of the time and is keeping me safe is worth the money.