Canning Whitefish in Jars Video

cl_fishin

Well done!

I have been doing this for about forty years and your video would have been extremely helpful back when I was getting started!

Here are a few comments, NOT intended as criticism, based on my experience:

I believe you would get closer to 100% of sealed jars if you soaked the lids in hot water before you put them on the jars.

On the 250 ml jars, you can get away with half an inch of headspace.

I was surprised that you put cold jars (out of the fridge) into the canner and did not get breakage. I guess if you are starting with good cold water in the canner that would help, but this is one area that I have run into problems in the past.

You correctly point out that the pressure needed will vary with elevation. I use ten pounds for ninety minutes, and don't get too worried if pressure dips to about nine pounds for a short while. But fluctuating pressure say ten to twelve, back to ten, back to twelve, etc will probably cause the jar contents to siphon out, and might cause sealing problems.

Your jars look VERY clean when they come out of the canner. Mine usually have a bit of a film on them, and I just wash them in the sink with hot soapy water.

Again,. WELL DONE!!!!

But it reminds me of the recipe for elephant stew: First, get an elephant................ :canadian:

Doug

Edited by akaShag

Mud Line = blood line. Bleeding the fish out after you have caught it, will eliminate most of it. I noticed you didnt cut out the Y bone. Does it desolve in the cooking process? I like the add salt, but would add onion. Fusing the onion into the fish.

Oh I need lettuce. LOL Nice

Thanks for taking the time. Enjoyed.

back to Misfish, yes the bones dissolve during canning, same as when you see the bones in canned salmon, they turn to mush.

I often put a slice of Vidalia onion into my jars of fish, and jars of smoked fish too. It does add a nice flavour, but also adds quite a bit of moisture so the consistency of the canned fish is more watery. You can just pour that off, but you are pouring away flavour with the liquid!!!

Doug

Thanks for the tips, I will try them next time for sure,..I appreciate your experience. When I started the process everything was cold and warmed up together so there was no quick drastic temp changes

Well done!

I have been doing this for about forty years and your video would have been extremely helpful back when I was getting started!

Here are a few comments, NOT intended as criticism, based on my experience:

I believe you would get closer to 100% of sealed jars if you soaked the lids in hot water before you put them on the jars.

On the 250 ml jars, you can get away with half an inch of headspace.

I was surprised that you put cold jars (out of the fridge) into the canner and did not get breakage. I guess if you are starting with good cold water in the canner that would help, but this is one area that I have run into problems in the past.

You correctly point out that the pressure needed will vary with elevation. I use ten pounds for ninety minutes, and don't get too worried if pressure dips to about nine pounds for a short while. But fluctuating pressure say ten to twelve, back to ten, back to twelve, etc will probably cause the jar contents to siphon out, and might cause sealing problems.

Your jars look VERY clean when they come out of the canner. Mine usually have a bit of a film on them, and I just wash them in the sink with hot soapy water.

Again,. WELL DONE!!!!

But it reminds me of the recipe for elephant stew: First, get an elephant................ :canadian:

Doug

Thanks, and like akaShag said the bones are quite fine and pretty much dissolve away, you don't notice them at all....might have to try the onion thing next time too

Mud Line = blood line. Bleeding the fish out after you have caught it, will eliminate most of it. I noticed you didnt cut out the Y bone. Does it desolve in the cooking process? I like the add salt, but would add onion. Fusing the onion into the fish.

Oh I need lettuce. LOL Nice

Thanks for taking the time. Enjoyed.

Thanks for the kind words and the Sub I appreciate it,.. you won"t regret learning to can fish it really is a great healthy alternative to grocery store stuff

On my list of things to do this summer.

And so I don't forget, I've conveniently subbed to your channel.

Top notch videos man! Really really enjoy the

Thanks for the kind words and the Sub I appreciate it,.. you won"t regret learning to can fish it really is a great healthy alternative to grocery store stuff

Your welcome! I already can other goods I've just never done whities.

Aka shag brought me some canned moose meat that was amazing!!!!

Might as well try new foods. Certainly doesn't hurt to have another fish to Target and more food options that's for sure!!!

How's the flavour?

Great video. I have been canning stuff my whole life. It is a great way to preserve fish and game!! I get a lot of weird looks when I pull out a bottle of meat, but once they try it, they want more!! Its awesome stuff for a shore lunch side dish, and great warmed up on the ice in the shack!

Thanks for sharing!

S.

Thanks, I really enjoy it a lot......I want to try Venison at some point too

Great video. I have been canning stuff my whole life. It is a great way to preserve fish and game!! I get a lot of weird looks when I pull out a bottle of meat, but once they try it, they want more!! Its awesome stuff for a shore lunch side dish, and great warmed up on the ice in the shack!

Thanks for sharing!

S.