Nipissing on fire

Sterling

Anyone else been out recently? Looks like the end-of-season blitz has started.

These past 3 days have been nuts. Thought it couldn't get better but yesterday was the best day I've had out on Nip, ever. Blew through 3 dozen minnows in the space of 2.5 hours (6 lines). Even got a quadruple header which is totally unheard of.

Anyone else been out recently? Looks like the end-of-season blitz has started.

These past 3 days have been nuts. Thought it couldn't get better but yesterday was the best day I've had out on Nip, ever. Blew through 3 dozen minnows in the space of 2.5 hours (6 lines). Even got a quadruple header which is totally unheard of.

ughhh

sounds like the fish finally turned on...weve been hammering away for weeks straight on Georgian Bay right up till last saturday and things were sorta firing but nowhere near what you are describing...sure enough our season closes March 1st, and sure as poop, our ice just literally got the best it has been all season due to the lack of insulation. This weekend would have cracked up to be the perfect weekend to finally get on the eyes like last year where we pulled 8 25 inch fish from the depths in a quick afternoon.

I guess our only hope now is that the crappies feel the same way that the eyes do and hit us hard, gotta make due with what the regs allow.

I cant believe that there is a 3 week difference between PAB and nippising but it is what it is. tight lines out there,

Edited by AKRISONER

Anything that could be kept?

HH

Only 2 keepers this year. Nipissing is essentially C&R for walleye. Which I don't mind.

Great news, I'm heading up next week, you fishing callander bay?

Yeah. I didn't place my shack in a scientific location either. Asked my then-pregnant wife which area would be the safest/easiest to access. Hit me up when you're down maybe I'll join you or you can join me.

Guys are telling me they're having success in the shallows (3-4ft) but to my understanding that's where the males go pre-spawn, and males are small.

Edited by Sterling

I've been out 7 or 8 trips this winter, only once was there no keepers iced (averaging 2-3 a trip between the group)

There's definitely better fishing out in deeper waters, north of south bay and whatnot is where I did best years ago. Now all I need is a sled or a reliable truck to make my way out there :).

PS: Went out tonight, got 6 and missed a bunch, definitely not as hot as the past few days.

Edited by Sterling

This season has been really good. The average size has gone way up, many days I'm averaging 16-17" fish, with the smallest being 14". Good stats considering some days we get 30+ fish each. Like Joey said, the keepers have been consistent and the big girls take a line once in a while. Here is one of our members with a hog (Casi - forget his screen name).

a few other pics from this year.

IMG_20170219_142537_zpsllhrchip.jpg

IMG_20170219_152524_zpssm8ewwel.jpg

IMG_20170226_140525_zpsbk4awfvz.jpg

IMG_20170226_143113_zpssu8jbutl.jpg