Balsam lake Provincial Park

huzzsaba

Planning on trying some new parks this year for car camping. Balsam Lake PP is of interest at the moment for Victoria Day Weekend. Any tips for shore fishing at the park? Hoping to get some walleye or worst case some panfish :Gonefishing:

Feel free to Pm me if you wish.

Thanks!

Edited by huzzsaba

Keep all food in vehicles during the night there.

The raccoons are plenty and smart.

Ain't that the truth.

As for shore fishing I never tried it. Always fished from a boat.

Where the park is the water is generally fairly shallow.

For eye's maybe some shallow running body baits after dark?

Panfish off bobbers maybe?

Planning on trying some new parks this year for car camping. Balsam Lake PP is of interest at the moment for Victoria Day Weekend. Any tips for shore fishing at the park? Hoping to get some walleye or worst case some panfish :Gonefishing:

Feel free to Pm me if you wish.

Thanks!

huzzaba,

there is a walking trail from one end of the park to the other.Except for the beach area you can potentially fish all of it where accessible.I have walked down thru the paths to the lake from the Lakeshore sites and fished several spots for smallies (top water) and slipfloats with microtubes for both panfish and smallies.I use a 10ft river rod myself so I can really get the stuff out there too.Also have done this at Bass Lake here in Orillia for large and smallmouth from shore.Wading will get you out further although most of the shore is quite rocky so be careful.

Had a friend catch a musky from shore to the right of the boat launch a few years ago on a mepps spinner so you never know and being May maybe walleye could be in close enough to get one.Careful of regs there is a slot there.

Kerry

Huzz, I can't help you with this park but I have a question. Do you have a good pair of chest waders? If you don't invest in a pair. It will open up so much more water for you as a predominantly shore fisherman. It did for me before I got my boat. I could get to good spots I never could from shore.

Thanks for the replies and tips. Thanks OI for the suggestion of getting waders. I do have a inflatable boat which I will take but in case the water is rough, I prefer to stay on shore.

Is the water in that area usually calm or does it get rough?

Thanks again