nf- plumbing question

Raycaster

Installing a bar area with a bar sink at a friends house and dreading the waste hookup.

Its on the main floor with a crawl space underneath.

The stack is 3 ft away but for a proper run I'd have to connect right to it.

It is PVC etc but of course rigid with no adjustment for a connecting coupling etc.

Is there a special rubber skirt connector I could place in if I cut 4" out of the stack etc?

Would I use a normal WYE coupling, cut in to measure flush and glue with a rubber sleeve above and below?

Or is there a better way without disrupting the stack?

I will take pics next time I'm there.

Thanks for help guys.

Mel12d.jpg

A Fernco will do it but I don't see why you just don't put in a solid "T" if you can cut into the stack, I'm missing something. An Air Admittance Valve may solve a tough venting issue. That's what we used for kitchen islands that couldn't be vented through the floor.

A nice bar by the way.

I've done something similar before in an old farmhouse, connecting a new 3" waste pipe to an existing stack underneath the house within a crawl space. It was a few years back now, but IIRC, we cut out enough gap for the new T, but cut the gap larger than you would for a completely snug fit, by 3/4" or so. We were able to get enough movement out of the existing stack combined with the larger gap to slide the new connector in. Without a picture it's a bit tough, and depends somewhat on whether you've got other runs coming into the stack within the crawl space, and their orientation.

I cannot comment on the vent legality in Canada but they are only used if you can not run a vent back because it is an island or impossible to return a vent due to structural issues. A Y and 1/8 bend is the correct fitting to come off the main drain line. We can use ferncos for a joint with a shear band on pvc lines. We would cut out the stack at the center of 17 inches off the floor for the 1/8 bend and then 2 ft below. Located at least 48 inches or 6 inches above the flood plan of the sink a sanitary tee is installed and run back as a vent within 2ft of the trap. Glue the stack part below with the fernco on the stub and slide it in place. Remember that the ferco and band will be thicker than the wall and shaving the drywall will most likely be needed. Rarely can a stack be pushed up or down because of the other connections in the wall. A plumber would not use a fernco before trying a glue slip joint but that takes some practice and may be above your skill/tool level.

Art

Art, they still sell AAV's here but that doesn't mean it's to code. And they are tricky to get to work if there isn't enough height above the trap. We have done a few on old cabins and cottages where there was not a stack, grey water just dumped outside onto wherever when the grey water bed plugged. My next door neighbours cottage still doesn't have a stack for his bathroom going into a 60 year old septic tank, how it drains is a mystery to me. The septic tank I dug up here was an old oil drum.

I am picturing something that I have seen done to tie into tight stacks. Both ends have a slide up/down compression coupling. Am I dreaming or have I seen one? I think it was a tie into old cast iron pipe.

I understand now, not enough play in the stack to slide the "T" into it. Use a Fernco.

The Air admittance valve replaces the need for a vent/stack. It goes on a riser you install on the drain/waste line. Perfectly legal in Ont.

The AAV's are legal in Ontario but only in certain conditions, basically when doing reno's where proper venting is impossible. I also inquired today into the Oatey 'Saddle Tees' mentioned above since they look pretty decent. I was told by the inspector that in situations where you couldn't install a proper fitting that these would 'likely' be accepted but only to tie into a vertical drain or stack. Any horizontal tie in has to be done with a lateral (Y fitting) which these are not. Anyway, a fernco above and below the new fitting on a stack is acceptable which may be the simplest solution if there is no give in the pipe. Cutting the pipe short and half seating a new fitting above and below is not legal or recommended.