Curious in NWO

Blue Lk

I have to agree with most of the guys stating their opinions of great fishing to be had with a 6 ,7 or 8 hour drive of the GTA. Areas north of Sudbury, Folyet & Chapleau have some outstanding fishing opportunities, for many different species, so why spend 2 days to fish Lake of the Woods?? I was fortunate to be in the area working anyway so why not include a trip to one of the best fishing areas in the world? A quick breakdown of my expenses to get to Rainy River.

Travel time 22 hours from St. Catharines

Gas expense for one way trip $325.00

Hotel in White River $95.00

Dinner the first night $45.00

Breakfast next morning $15.00

Arrive in Rainy River late the 2 nd day

So $480.00 X 2 for the return trip = $960.00!

Now add the cost of your cabin for the week which can range any where from $750.00 to $2500.00

Return flight to Thunder Bay $600.00, car rental approximately $350.00 for 1 week. Same expenses as driving but only a fraction of the time spent on the road. For those who have never been there you'll find the closer you are to LOTW it's rather expensive. Cabin rental for the week which usually includes a boat & motor can be anywhere from $1500. to 2500. per week. I found if you were closer to Vermillion Bay, Eagle Lake, Ear Falls the rental fees are substantially lower. I will never regret the time spent driving as I love the scenery, it's outstanding!

My daughter lives in Winnipeg, the plan for them is to move to Kenora within 6-7 years. So I am sure that'll end up fishing there sooner or later.

Move to Kenora??? Geez man I hope your daughter is well off financially.

Kenora is a dump full of crime. Id rather walk the northend of winnipeg than downtown kenora

Move to Kenora??? Geez man I hope your daughter is well off financially.

Kenora is a dump full of crime. Id rather walk the northend of winnipeg than downtown kenora

Kenora area. he's a country boy from North of Winnipeg so I am sure that he won't be moving downtown.

I'm glad you said it first Rick. I was very disappointed when I visited Kenora last summer. Beer store was dirty, grocery store not much better, drunks lying on the sidewalk. All in all not a pretty site. Cops had 1 guy in hand cuffs who had trouble walking! This was in broad daylight. I wouldn't want to be there at night!! I understand mouth wash & shaving lotion are under lock & key in the pharmacy! Get away from Kenora in places such as Nestor Falls, Vermillion Bay, Ear Falls much more friendlier & cleaner.

I'm glad you said it first Rick. I was very disappointed when I visited Kenora last summer. Beer store was dirty, grocery store not much better, drunks lying on the sidewalk. All in all not a pretty site. Cops had 1 guy in hand cuffs who had trouble walking! This was in broad daylight. I wouldn't want to be there at night!! I understand mouth wash & shaving lotion are under lock & key in the pharmacy! Get away from Kenora in places such as Nestor Falls, Vermillion Bay, Ear Falls much more friendlier & cleaner.

Yep. Kenora has massive alcohol and drug issues. Probably the highest per capita ive ever seen.

At night youll get stabbed for ten bucks.

Not a week goes by without a massive drug bust.

Its the only place ive ever seen that has a 100 person line up at the LCBO 2 hours before it opens.

The towns a mess in every way

I'd love to go there just for the whole vacation experience and the scenery. But I'd be leaving fish to find fish and for that, it's just too far. Imagine travelling that far and being disappointed with a 5lb smallie or a 8lb walleye? Now, a fly-in trip to a quiet remote lake is certainly on the bucket list.

I'd love to go there just for the whole vacation experience and the scenery. But I'd be leaving fish to find fish and for that, it's just too far. Imagine travelling that far and being disappointed with a 5lb smallie or a 8lb walleye? Now, a fly-in trip to a quiet remote lake is certainly on the bucket list.

Thats the thing. You can do one or the other or both.

There is SO MUCH LAKES its unreal. Im not joking when I say you can fish 3 lakes in a day no prob

It simply isn't worth the expence. For far less money plus not wasting 2 days of my life on a plane I can get world class fishing right here in Ontario. I just can't justify the expense when I have world class fishing right here in my backyard. I mean right in my backyard, I'm watching the waves break on the beach right now. At my age I have to ask myself would I go if it was free and I have to say no. Ask me 20 years ago and you will get a different answer. Just the other day friends asked us to join them at their new place in Vegas, we only need to get there and back and we respectfully declined.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Ricardo, I misread the OP's question. When I saw NWO my dyslexic mind said to me North West Territories. So any of my other post can be disregarded like many of my other posts. Of course I would love to get to North West Ontario, as long as I don't have to drive with Wormdunker for 22 hours. He can pick me up at the airport and I'll flip him a few bucks for gas. Actually that isn't a bad plan.

No you won't catch 150 Pics in a day. But 15 of ours will weight the same as 150 of yours, as Al Pacino said whoooorhaaa!!!

Kenora sounds like what I saw in Edmonton, Winnipeg, Regina and Vancouver. I didn't stay long in Calgary but I'm sure it's there too. Very sad, most were 1st Nations folks. We have a huge problem here in Canada that most Canadians don't know about or care to know about. The first time I was made aware of it was in 81' in Long Lac. The local in and out store had an electronic gate with a barbed wire fence covering and surrounding it to keep those addicted from robbing them. The guy that ran the store told us that without the security he would be robbed all day and night long. I told him he should call it 24/7 instead of 7/11.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Ricardo, I misread the OP's question. When I saw NWO my dyslexic mind said to me North West Territories. So any of my other post can be disregarded like many of my other posts. Of course I would love to get to North West Ontario, as long as I don't have to drive with Wormdunker for 22 hours. He can pick me up at the airport and I'll flip him a few bucks for gas. Actually that isn't a bad plan.

No you won't catch 150 Pics in a day. But 15 of ours will weight the same as 150 of yours, as Al Pacino said whoooorhaaa!!!

Yeah, but we catch a 100 then switch gears and get 10-12lbers in the same day???

C'mon man! Our average Walleye is 34" and weigh no less than 10 kilos. You need a Salmon net to get the smallies in them. Stringers of perch have been known to sink a boat. I can wade in and pick up 25 pound Carp with my hands, that's actually not what POTUS's people call "alternate truth".

C'mon man! Our average Walleye is 34" and weigh no less than 10 kilos. You need a Salmon net to get the smallies in them. Stringers of perch have been known to sink a boat. I can wade in and pick up 25 pound Carp with my hands, that's actually not what POTUS's people call "alternate truth".

????

Walleyes up here eat muskies, thats why they get sooooo YUGE!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

Just my opinion....as someone who was born and bred in southern Ontario, fished and hunted all parts and spent 4 years living in Fort Frances I can tell you one thing....there is no place like that in Ontario. The ONLY reason I do not go back is that it is 22 hours straight and I feel that probably deters most from down south...you can make it to the Florida border in the same amount of time it takes you to get to Fort! As for the caliber of fishing and hunting it is simply second to none...the only species missing are the salmon and bows. You can leave Fort get 5 different species of of fish, shoot a moose, a deer and a handfull of bushchickens before its dark! And that's no poop! Everything would have to be perfect but it is possible.

I miss that country badly and someday when I am done with work down here I will be back.

So...point being its a long drive and unless your gonna stay its just to far of a haul when the fish are here as well.

Just my opinion....as someone who was born and bred in southern Ontario, fished and hunted all parts and spent 4 years living in Fort Frances I can tell you one thing....there is no place like that in Ontario. The ONLY reason I do not go back is that it is 22 hours straight and I feel that probably deters most from down south...you can make it to the Florida border in the same amount of time it takes you to get to Fort! As for the caliber of fishing and hunting it is simply second to none...the only species missing are the salmon and bows. You can leave Fort get 5 different species of of fish, shoot a moose, a deer and a handfull of bushchickens before its dark! And that's no poop! Everything would have to be perfect but it is possible.

I miss that country badly and someday when I am done with work down here I will be back.

So...point being its a long drive and unless your gonna stay its just to far of a haul when the fish are here as well.

Im from fort as well. And this is the point I tried to convey lol

You said it better!