Cold, brutally windy... lots of ice and a few fish.

Locnar

Got out on a local bay a few minutes from my house. Deepest spot we could find was about 4 or 4.5 ft. Landed a little pike before the wind picked up with a fury. It swam to be caught again. Lasted only about another hour before we decided to wander to the other side where there was some wind break. Found about 3ft of water, which was for some reason a little bit less murky. Caught a couple of white perch, which made their way to my dinner table. Then, the walk back was brutal with the wind directly in our faces.

TAUNGqJ.jpg

TtMoIKA.jpg

UgZCq4x.jpg

A frog was frozen into the top of the ice... weird.

JZCJ5Cj.jpg

Had about 7" of solid clear ice below us.

The White Perch tasted pretty good, nice white meat. Fairly similar to the yellow bellies... but I still think the Cooks Bay yellow bellies are some of the best tastin fish you can catch around these parts. They put up a better fight than the yellows, and in my opinion are a prettier fish.

This was the first outing of 4, that I managed to pull some fish through the hole. Had a rainbow on the other day, but my reel was frozen over and before I could hand line it up... it spit the hook.

Nice to know there's a nice close to home location that provides a variety of fish. I hear there are crappie there as well. And in the soft water, carp and bullheads as well. Although, I've heard bullheads will bite under the ice?

I found it funny how the best ice I've seen or heard of was closest to home. That goes to show what snow can do to ice formation. Whereabouts did you head to?

I was up in Pointe Au Baril

The 6 inch layer of slush on top of the 4 inches of white ice looks nowhere near as good as that.

Looks like fun! Nice fish.

Bullhead will bite under the ice but i wouldnt know where to start targeting them, they tend to sit in their little hole and wait for something to swim by.

Much easier if you can cast around to them.

I have caught a handful in cooks bay ice fishing over the last 15 years lol.

Sweet outing. Is their a reason why the pike was released? That looks like to be a nice size white perch, I never caught one before.

pump

dont you release every pike you catch? It seems that way from your Social media accounts...maybe you eat a few? Every video ive seen you post you always throw them back it seems?

that ones pretty small to filet, especially after you remove the Y bone

Edited by AKRISONER

I thought most people keep fish when caught through the ice. Yea, I agree that one is a bit on the small side.

The pike I catch are from Lake Ontario and I release 99% unless it was fatally wounded. Also I don't eat fish much and not from Lake Ontario, I'm sure they're safe to eat but I don't think I can do it.

If I were to try ice fishing this year in Lake Simcoe, I would like to keep some jumbo perch and a pike for the table.

I do keep some fish while ice fishing, depends on species or where I am fishing. Cooks Bay I will keep a maximum of a dozen perch. More than enough for a couple dinners. If I get into some rainbows, I will keep one.

That pike was just a bit small, and again the pike in that waterbody get a pounding during the open water season. I think that water gets nearly no winter pressure though, which is nice. I wouldn't mind getting a couple crappies or more white perch form there though, maybe bullheads if they happen to end up on the end of my line.

I thought most people keep fish when caught through the ice.

It does vary as some times if outside (as in no hut) on a nasty cold windy day a fish's eyes can freeze leaving it blind. I'v had perch sit on the ice for hours to then come back to life in the sink at home in water when I thaw it to then fillet them. Also way less likely to have worms in the meat in the winter.

PS, Lake O fish are safe to eat. I have had trout from the lake and it was great and clean meat.