Lake of the Woods. Dreaming

captpierre

We drove from Ottawa to Red wing lodge near Morson and fished Sabaskong bay for muskies a few years ago. The 24 hr drive was not as bad as one would think with all the scenery and a couple good buddies.

There are tonnes of lodges, campgrounds etc...

The lake itself exceeded my expectations by a mile. It was absolutely amazing.

You won't regret it

You can read up on our visit in my blog

http://muskymattottawariver.blogspot.ca/

Edited by muskymatt

I just returned from Ear Falls 3 hour drive east of Lake of the Woods. Fantastic fishery! Kenora is a little pricey. A cabin for 1 week is easily $1500.00 per week but if you do some research you can get places cheaper. The fishing for walleye, muskie & huge pike is readily available. Long bow Lake has huge pike but you can only keep pike less than 26". I was at Ear Falls for 1 week & caught 60 - 75 walleye. I would strongly advise you to stay away from Kenora as it is like Niagara Falls of the north. Call ManitouBass he will steer you in the right direction.

I would strongly advise you to stay away from Kenora as it is like Niagara Falls of the north.

The Kenora area is Manitoba's playground & crazy busy,there are lots of lakes in the area with just as good or better fishing.

Eagle,Lac Seul,etc etc

Google Ontario Sunset Country lodges & resorts

I just returned from Ear Falls 3 hour drive east of Lake of the Woods. Fantastic fishery! Kenora is a little pricey. A cabin for 1 week is easily $1500.00 per week but if you do some research you can get places cheaper. The fishing for walleye, muskie & huge pike is readily available. Long bow Lake has huge pike but you can only keep pike less than 26". I was at Ear Falls for 1 week & caught 60 - 75 walleye. I would strongly advise you to stay away from Kenora as it is like Niagara Falls of the north. Call ManitouBass he will steer you in the right direction.

Will be staying at Witch Bay for 8 days

Witch Bay is a good spot to be in. The most amazing fishery in Canada. My in laws had a place on Route Bay, just off of Bigstone Bay. Walleye fishing was stupid good, pike great, smallie great, muskie elusive but I was new to muskie fishing at the time. I want another kick at that can. There are tons of lodges, places to rent and the like. All depends on how much you can afford to spend and how much timeyou have. I would suggest getting a guide. There is too much water and not every good looking spot holds fish and there are literally thousands of good looking spots.

Witch Bay is a good spot to be in. The most amazing fishery in Canada. My in laws had a place on Route Bay, just off of Bigstone Bay. Walleye fishing was stupid good, pike great, smallie great, muskie elusive but I was new to muskie fishing at the time. I want another kick at that can. There are tons of lodges, places to rent and the like. All depends on how much you can afford to spend and how much timeyou have. I would suggest getting a guide. There is too much water and not every good looking spot holds fish and there are literally thousands of good looking spots.

apparently a guide comes with my package but hopefully wont need it, just a map, hot spots and structure. I will try on my own the first day or two I think.....25 more sleeps

There's a post here about 3 weeks ago on Goose Bay Camp on Lac Seul (page 2 Learning to jig). It's on hwy 105 as you head north to Ear Falls from Vermillion Bay. You will find an awesome fishing report there. See also my report from 3 weeks ago (page 2). Rental prices in the Ear Falls area are very reasonable.

Edited by wormdunker

If the guide is included. Do a trip with him. Going all the way up there and not catching much would be a huuuuge disappointment. I know a spot or two on Andrew Bay that hold skis and eyes. Met several people that were at Witch Bay. All had nothing but good things to say.