stormy lake in restoule pp

Raf

Can anyone tell me if there are campsites (crown or provincial park) on stormy lake that are boat-in only. I understand there`s car camping sites in the park itself but we`d prefer to be a little more secluded. I understand the stormy lake launch is accessible through the park. I have not been able to find much info online other than the car camping sites. I will give them a ring tomorrow but thought i`d ask here as well.

Edited by Raf

I don't think so, but then I've never looked into it. I always take an electrical site for charging batteries. There are waterfront sites facing onto restoule, but they are booked way in advance with the occasional 2-3 day blocks available midweek from time to time. I can't recall seeing a boat in site on stormy.

From the Ontario Parks web site for Restoule:

Backcountry Camping

You can make an afternoon or day trip to many of the backcountry sites on Stormy and Clear Lakes. Accessible by foot, boat and canoe these sites also provide a jumping off point for a multi-day canoe route that will take you on a round trip from Restoule Provincial Park, to the French River, North to Lake Nipissing and then back to Restoule through Shoal and Bass Lakes. Rated at easy to moderate, there are well marked campsites and portages along this four to five day adventure.

High water levels may increase the difficulty of the rapids located along the Restoule and French Rivers.
Low water levels may increase the number and length of portages on the north/south leg of the route through Shoal and Bass Lakes.

For more information, a canoe route map or to check seasonal conditions, please call the park directly. 705 729-2010

Although significantly more adventurous, you can choose to hike into many of the backcountry campsites. This will be a mostly off-trail experience. A GPS, accurate map, appropriate gear and experience are all required to take advantage of these opportunities.

Yes there are several boat in sites on Stormy a couple I can recommend and there are some down the river towards scotts dam and on Clear lake. You will have very little traffic or others camping as most of the time these sites are vacant.Most of the lake is park and crownland so next to no shoreline development other than an Old hunt camp and few cottages spread out on Clear,stormy and the river.The park office use to have a map of all of them not sure if it is still available.

Yes Stormy lake and the ramp are accessable through the park. Last year they were building a new gatehouse/store and made a new road over to Stormy lake which I believe was done to make sure people have to go past gatehouse and pay a fee to access Stormy where as before the road would split before the gatehouse.

if you need any other info just ask.

you will have to pay a day use fee to use the ramp and leave your vehicle at Stormy,there is lots of room for parking and docking.

Edited by bowslayer

• 1 month later...

That brings up a question - I have a 40 hp and a 5 hp kicker on my boat - I guess it's ok to go on a lake with a 10 hp restriction as long as you don't use the 40 and only use the 5 hp

I'm curious about this too, might be just the workaround to get me back on some Algonquin lakes (my old boat had a 20 which is allowed on some lakes). There are lots of PP's with horsepower restrictions.....

I know lots of the provincial parks have the restriction but where the lakes extend out side of tthe park in most cases they don't have the restriction

I think if you remove and don't have the prop on board for the big motor you could get away with running the kicker there

Ive been going to stormy for the past 5 years, ive never seen this restriction before unless it came to effect this year.

I phoned the Park this morning and they confirmed it. Looks like I'm fishing Restoule only moving forward.

Edited by Dutch01

• 8 months later...

Ok, I've not given up yet..

I've found the restriction text here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/070347#BK34

specifically:

restoulerestriction.jpg

however, the same link above states:

Power boats

31. (1) No person shall operate a power boat in a provincial park. O. Reg. 347/07, s. 31 (1).

(2) Despite subsection (1), a person may operate a power boat,

( a ) in a provincial park named in Column 2 of Schedule 1 in waters named in Column 3 of that Schedule if the conditions set out in that Column are met;

( b ) in waters that are partially but not entirely included within the regulated boundary of a provincial park;

( c ) in a wilderness class park in accordance with Ontario Regulation 346/07 (Mechanized Travel in Wilderness Parks) made under the Act. O. Reg. 347/07, s. 31 (2).

my understanding is that stormy / clear are only partly in the park so I don't see how they can enforce the restriction. now the launch IS in the park so maybe an alternate boat launch is the key here.

Edited by Raf