Algonquin lakers tips

huzzsaba

We are heading out to Algonquin beginning of July and hoping to fish for some lake trout. I understand they will be deep at this time of the year, but hope with some tips I can locate them and have a successful outing. We are staying at canisbay so will mainly try there but will try other lakes as well.

I do have a big inflatable boat , intex seahawk 4 (which is very stable btw) and a fish finder (lowrance x4 pro). The plan is to find them on fishfinder and perhaps jig for them. I do not have a motor on the boat so if you would like to recommend a certain lake, smaller lakes that are not too far off the hwy 60.

Also please recommend what tackle I should have with me.

Thanks

Shouldn't need to go deeper than 40-50 feet, may even find them shallower than that. If you're on a new lake you may have to troll to find them, and they may not even be schooled up enough yet (full summer mode) to have a whole lot of success jigging, but who knows. I would suggest finding a way to troll though.

Do you suggest dipsy divers? I am pretty new to trolling so would love to give either dipsy divers of jet divers a try. I read that jet divers float when not moving so I believe that may be a better option when paddling.

Also what color lures do you suggest for algonquin waters? I know the water is mainly tea stained.

Edited by huzzsaba

Jet's and Dipseys require heavy gear, a 1 or 1.5 oz keel weight or bottom bouncer is all you need on a long lead. Jointed Rapalas and various wabblers and lucky strike spoons should all work. Lakers usually arent that picky if you can present it properly in their strike zone.

Jet's and Dipseys require heavy gear, a 1 or 1.5 oz keel weight or bottom bouncer is all you need on a long lead. Jointed Rapalas and various wabblers and lucky strike spoons should all work. Lakers usually arent that picky if you can present it properly in their strike zone.

Originally my plan was to try bottom bouncing or 3 way. I will try those first, especially the keel weight idea. Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

My Haliburton lake was 74 degrees Saturday. We found lakers in 65 to 75 FOW.

I would jig Huzz, and hope the winds are light so you can stay vertical. Heavier spoons like a Cleo or Cyclops will help you stay vertical.

If live bait is allowed, a minnow off a bottom bouncer or 3 way rig could be deadly.

My Haliburton lake was 74 degrees Saturday. We found lakers in 65 to 75 FOW.

I would jig Huzz, and hope the winds are light so you can stay vertical. Heavier spoons like a Cleo or Cyclops will help you stay vertical.

If live bait is allowed, a minnow off a bottom bouncer or 3 way rig could be deadly.

Thanks for the tips Chris. I believe no live bait in Algonquin but wondering if frozen minnow are allowed where it calls for no live bait?

Live bait fish in Algonquin park is a no-no for sure - It's against the regulations. I think electric motors might also be banned in Canisbay as well so paddling a big inflatable might not be so easy (might want to check with park staff to confirm if you do plan to bring one).

I've fished Canisbay a good number of times in the past (last time was 2007). Never caught a laker in there but I never really put a serious effort into it either. There's some decent smallie fishing in that lake. I caught my PB smallie from Canisbay back in 2002. If you can't find any lakers, bass would be your next best option.

Live bait fish in Algonquin park is a no-no for sure - It's against the regulations. I think electric motors might also be banned in Canisbay as well so paddling a big inflatable might not be so easy (might want to check with park staff to confirm if you do plan to bring one).

I've fished Canisbay a good number of times in the past (last time was 2007). Never caught a laker in there but I never really put a serious effort into it either. There's some decent smallie fishing in that lake. I caught my PB smallie from Canisbay back in 2002. If you can't find any lakers, bass would be your next best option.

Thanks for the heads up MJL. I am still not too comfortable with a canoe so I know I will definitely get a good upper body workout paddling the inflatable, but that is ok. Just have to make sure its not windy when I head out. Yes option B as you mentioned will be to target smallmouth bass.

Anyone been to Sunday Lake? If so, how far is the walk from the hwy 60? According to google maps, there seems to be a road going there from the parking lot on Hwy 60. Also is it a steep slope to the water of is it pretty level access?

We have luck with blade bait lures trolling from canoes while touring the park.

Get into about 60' of water and even paddling into the wind, the top connection of the blade lure to the line gives an almost vertical slow presentation.

Have picked up a nice laker or two many times mid day while moving from one camp site to another.

I would troll rapalas or lil cleos on a 3-way swivel with a bottom bouncer.

I cant remember the guys name but thers a few youtube videos. Try searching 'bottom bouncing lakers algonquin' in youtube.

YES frozen minnows are ok to use, I do frozen salted minnows everywhere I go as it is illegal to transport live minnows from one lake to another.

Google 'Algonquin stocking list' and you will find many walk-in lakes along the highway 60 corridor.

Also, Jeffsmap.com shows which species are in each lake.

Good luck!!

I've done a lot of the aforementioned techniques for getting down deep with minimal equipment, and by far the easiest I'd recommend is using a clip-on snapweight by Offshore Tackle.
http://www.offshoretackle.com/snapweights.html

Clip on a 1-2oz weight about 10-15ft above a Williams 1/2 & 1/2 or a Vibrax in-line spinner and I'm golden. I tend to use the latter lure more these days because eventually I tend to get line twist with Williams, but YMMV.

The beauty behind this setup is you can reel in the fish as far as you'd like without a secondary line (3-way swivel or bottom bouncer) getting in the way. I don't bring a net in the backcountry, so having the fish 10-15ft away from the boat and trying to land it can be a pain.

As for the lake, it wouldn't be my first choice. It's July and you're on highway 60. If you're willing to put a short portage behind you, you'll get more action. A longer portage -- even more action. If you're cool with just trying it out, don't let highway 60 ruin your feelings towards mid-summer laker fishing in the park, and be sure to enjoy your time!

EDIT: Sorry -- some alternatives should you be interested: Westward has seen some nice specks and even a surprise laker come out of it. I've seen pictures of nice splake coming out of the Norway-Fork system, but I've not personally fished them.

Edited by jayess

Do you suggest dipsy divers? I am pretty new to trolling so would love to give either dipsy divers of jet divers a try. I read that jet divers float when not moving so I believe that may be a better option when paddling.

Also what color lures do you suggest for algonquin waters? I know the water is mainly tea stained.

I just noticed that you're willing to try trolling. I suggest you try the Fish Seeker. It's a lightweight diver meant for lighter line and is totally adjustable in 5ft steps down to 80ft by adjusting where the main line and the leader attach. I believe the chart is based on 10lb line. They work pretty well but you can't use deep diving plugs behind them as it will trip and plane up. Price is great at under $10.

Assuming you can move that inflatable from say, 1.1 to 1.5 mph this should work for you to drag a plug , spoon or a spinner minnow harness type troll for Lakers.

http://www.basspro.com/Davis-Instruments-Fish-Seeker/product/7874/?bvrrp=2010/reviews/product/3/7874.htm

Good luck in the park. I know you'll enjoy it. I hope the bugs are good for you.

Cheers

thanks to everyone who has replied. I have been watching videos and reading about the snap weight method and that seems to be the best option and most cost effective. I also like smitty55 recommendation to try the fishseeker.

I believe I can get the inflatable moving at a decent speed although it will be a workout lol, but if it means fish on, it will be worth it.

I will post a report when I get back from the trip for sure.

I would jig heavier spoons (including ones typical for ice fishing like Swedish Pimples, Kastmaster, Mr.Champ), larger blade baits, white tubes and white paddletails. I watched a video where someone had success drop-shotting with Gulp minnows. I plan on trying that on my upcoming trip myself.

I don't think the Dipsy's, Pink Lady, Fishseeker etc.. are worth the effort unless you have a dedicated setup. Might be better to just get a lead core or similar setup.

If you can figure out how to troll, a three-way setup is easy and works. I use it all the time with my spinning gear (or my pike baitcaster). I have also used a rubber band and DIY clip on weights (alligator clips). It all works and I use anywhere fom 3oz to 6oz weights. Flutter type spoons work great when trolling - Mooselooks, Sutton, Williams. One of my favorite is the Lucky Strike Half Wave spoon. F9 Rapalas are effective too.

Edited by adempsey