Gord Downie

Hoppy

It's a shame that the system is so corrupt for tickets.. I really wish there was an alternative way to buy them other than the monopoly we have now.. tickets were unavailable at 10:01 but I could get a pair of the worst seats for $400 US from ticketmasters sister company Stubhub..

Heard the recording this afternoon and I think the radio host is a dink. Just because you can't afford it, doesn't give you the right and cry like a little baby because it's out of your reach to afford. If you can't afford it, too bad. Live within your means. This concert isn't life or death, but the radio host decides to act out his inner childishness to prove a weak point. It's supply and demand.

If you want a contractor to work on your house, but can't afford his "jacked up" prices, do you call him up to drive an hour only to tell him to "shove it" with his high prices?

That should result in some sort of beat down. What a whiny turd.

Wish I was a radio station boss and so I could tell him to come to Toronto for a radio gig that will pay him $1mil per year, only to tell him "SIKE!!!" and have him drive back to his crappy job in St Cats.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

Heard the recording this afternoon and I think the radio host is a dink. Just because you can't afford it, doesn't give you the right and cry like a little baby because it's out of your reach to afford. If you can't afford it, too bad. Live within your means. This concert isn't life or death, but the radio host decides to act out his inner childishness to prove a weak point. It's supply and demand.

If you want a contractor to work on your house, but can't afford his "jacked up" prices, do you call him up to drive an hour only to tell him to "shove it" with his high prices?

That should result in some sort of beat down. What a whiny turd.

Wish I was a radio station boss and so I could tell him to come to Toronto for a radio gig that will pay him $1mil per year, only to tell him "SIKE!!!" and have him drive back to his crappy job in St Cats.

While the analogy is close, you can always hire another contractor, you can't hire another Gord Downie. It's the piggybacking off of a guy with a terminal illness that everyone is pissed off about, if this was just a regular tour it would not have been near the frenzy it was.

Ticket scalpers have always existed and only now it's being brought to our full attention because some feel the injustice of someone making a little money off of a terminally ill person. Not to offend anyone in the trade, but funeral homes have forever made money off dead people when families are in full mourning—they can easily charge $10,000 for a service.

Thus far, much of the frustration and anger have been voiced by the fans regarding the inability to acquire tickets and the price increase seen on re-sale sites...not so much about scalpers taking advantage of Downie's health.

I think what is the problem is how major resellers acquire the tickets. From what I've read, they use ticket-bots and that usually leaves the average concert goer at a huge disadvantage. Most of the time, we have no idea how many tickets are actually available for sale...they reserve some tickets to friends & family, VIP, sponsors, etc., and in the end, how many tickets are left?

I don't think the promoters really care since they were able to sell out the show...they've made their money, covered their expenses, and onward with the show.

I just think that fans are directing their anger and frustration at the wrong party, while major ticket resellers, like StubHub, are laughing their way to the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

the CBC would literally have to be the dumbest collective of media managers in the entire world to not take up the opportunity to broadcast that concert...seriously? I cant believe this is even a consideration.

The viewership is going to be literally insane...But what about the intense Murdoch Mysteries ratings?!!!

Scalpers are going to charge you fifty bucks to watch it in your own living room.

This isn't like picking a happy meal. The group would have to sign-off, the tour promoter and maybe a half dozen other entities that would all want their piece. Maybe another network wanted to do it? To be safe they'd also want to wait until most/all the tickets were sold.