Trout Fishing Advice-Drag Lake Haliburton

Tim Mills

My son and I have been invited up to Drag Lake in Haliburton this weekend.

I understand the lake has Lake Trout and Brown Trout. We were thinking of trolling some streamers/leeches and spoons/crankbaits from a canoe. We won't have any electronics.

Does anyone have any advice as to what depth the Trout might be at this time of year?

Can we get away with flatlining or should we be using 3 way rigs at a certain depth?

Thx for any advice.

Dad had a cottage in Haliburton for thirty years, never found the lakers down all that far using riggers, majourity we caught even in summer were at 40 to 50 feet, old Fish Hawk 520 temperature probe always had temps in the high 40's by 50 foot even by August.

Best lure was a large Les Davis copper/silver gang troll with a large shiner threaded on a mono leader about 18 inches to 2 feet of the back with a baiting needle, fished Drag a few times, OK but not the best lake for numbers. It did however cough up a couple of Molson's Big Fish Winners in the 70's including a 38 to a friend of ours. This weekend I'd stay in the top ten with spoons or rapala type lures.

Flat lining for sure, different weight spoons, this weekend should be prime

This ^

Dont forget your diving rapalas.

Anywhere in the top 20ft is where id be trolling. Never fished drag i dont think.

S.

• 7 years later...