Erie Perch, Thursday May 12

Bondar

Headed out on a glass calm Lake Erie yesterday with my girlfriend in search of some fish sandwiches. Headed out to my way point from the weekend and it didn't let me down. Fish were there but moving quick with the calm crystal clear water. So we'd find them and get a few and have to move 20 yards or so and get on them again. Had to repeat that all morning. We ended the day with just under 70 fish before I had to leave so I'd have time to clean fish before work. We fished for about 3-1/2 hours . Was a great day to be out. Moving away from the other boats was key to getting bites

IMG_20160512_134658_zpsecaykerk.jpg

IMG_20160512_143330_zpsfejyi4p2.jpg

IMG_20160512_123343_zps7alwiqmv.jpg

Edited by Bondar

Way to go Jeff, We ended the day with 46, what a struggle to stay on top of them.

Thank goodness on the new ipilot, I don't think we would have caught as many as we did.

After you left we had a big school under us but had lockjaw, maybe because the storm moving in had shut them down.

What a beautiful day, water was like glass till we left at 6pm.

See you out there another day.

Great job! I was there Thursday as well. I wasn't so fortunate - only 3 keepers for 7 hours fishing. I was also moving constantly, couldn't find a decent school, just small pods of fish.

Brian, let you in on a little secret, bite your minnows in half, keep one half in your mouth till you need another piece. :D:D

Great job! I was there Thursday as well. I wasn't so fortunate - only 3 keepers for 7 hours fishing. I was also moving constantly, couldn't find a decent school, just small pods of fish.

Moving in the same direction as the fish are is the tough part. Do you or anyone else have a trick to move in the same direction as the fish?

See Brian, they haven't all been caught.

Dave, with that method with the minnows you don't need to bring a lunch.

Thank goodness on the new ipilot, I don't think we would have caught as many as we did.

The Terrova is the best piece of equipment I own on the boat. There's no way I would have got the fish if I had to haul an anchor up every ten minutes. I'd look like Popeye or my GF would haha.

I run tight circles when the fish move on me an gradually make them wider and wider I leave the electric down and drive with the big motor. As soon as I mark fish I hit the spot lock and shut the boat off. The boat will keep moving but give the spot lock a second to kick in an bring you back to where you hit the button and start fishing again. Then repeat and repeat.......

Edited by Bondar

The Terrova is the best piece of equipment I own on the boat. There's no way I would have got the fish if I had to haul an anchor up every ten minutes. I'd look like Popeye or my GF would haha.

I run tight circles when the fish move on me an gradually make them wider and wider I leave the electric down and drive with the big motor. As soon as I mark fish I hit the spot lock and shut the boat off. The boat will keep moving but give the spot lock a second to kick in an bring you back to where you hit the button and start fishing again. Then repeat and repeat.......

That is a great tip....

Thanks for the great info, all I need now is a new Hood Ornament with anchor lock. Not in this years budget. I let 100 feet of rope out and pull it in to move, hopefully in the right direction. I never set up inside the Wolf pack.

Those big fat ones had to be packed full of eggs. I would let them go, just my opinion only.

63 fow releasing is not an option, would be seagull food. Everything I catch is used. I prefer fall perch but it's spring and I like to eat fish. I'm barely putting a needle in the commercial fishery.

Edited by Bondar