I need help shopping for a new VHF radio

Old Ironmaker

My 21 year old radio won't transmit and can't be repaired. Not hand held mounted in the boat. I know nothing about VHF radios other than how to use them.

Are they rated by power output? My radio could reach the marina 25K away while sitting in my driveway over land. Everyone was impressed. I would need to look at the radio for brand.

Are the aerials standard plug in's to all unit makes? Same as power to the radio, will I need to run new power cables?

Is one manufacturer better then the next?

I see prices vary which tells me there may be one more powerful than the next. My radio didn't have some of the bells and whistles that some have auto SOS or MOB that I see in some. No GPS feature. I need a radio to contact the Coast Guard and get weather reports as well speak to other boats. y antenna is very long. 8 feet or so.

What other info do you need to help? I saw a Uniden today at a marine dealer and it was the kids second day on the job, everyone else was really busy. He knew the price though. On sale for $199.00.

Honestly, most radios are all made in Hop Sings factory in china. Standard maximum output is 25 watt on high, 1 or 5 watt on low. Most radios have the SO239 standard antenna connector, some used to have the BNC. As long as your power cables are clean and not corroded, they can be reused, any amount of corrosion, replace them. If your antenna is as old as the radio, it may be a good idea to change the antenna too.

Edited by Fisherman

You'd be foolish to buy a radio without DSC. If you are truly concerned about an emergency, you will have help coming to your exact location at the push of a single button. Seems like too good a feature to be without to me. The digital signal also has a much greater range than the regular radio signal as well.

Edited by G.mech

DSC stands for Digital Selective Calling. Most radios have DSC in this day and age. It digitally sends and emergency signal including your GPS location to all stations within range at the press of a single emergency button. They will see your vessel identity and location as well as whether it is a 'Distress, 'Urgency' or 'Safety' transmission. Here's a link with some more details:

http://www.vhf-dsc.info/what.html

Edited by G.mech

If it doesn't have dsc it's old stock, they all should have it now. Cps does all the radio operators licensing now, I just did the coarse at about $45 just the dsc upgrade might be les but it's been so long since I did the coarse I sat in on the whole thing.s

Icom is great. DSC requires you to wire it to your gps. Very simple two wires from the NMEA out ports on your gps to the in wires on the vhf radio. Then when you hit the emergency button on the vhf it broadcasts the distress signal along with your exact gps coordinates.

Icom is great. DSC requires you to wire it to your gps. Very simple two wires from the NMEA out ports on your gps to the in wires on the vhf radio. Then when you hit the emergency button on the vhf it broadcasts the distress signal along with your exact gps coordinates.

Most of the newest radios I have looked at have built in GPS already, no need to connect with these ones.

Edited by G.mech