Question for you Bass fishermen

They are for those that don't want to pollute the environment with lead. When it comes down to the environment vs. money, money will win every time. There are some lakes here in Michigan that bans the use of lures containing lead.

Not only are they smaller, up to 45% smaller than regular lead, they are harder so they don't dent and get mangled like lead or cut into your line, also they are louder so when using a rig like a Carolina rig and you are trying to make noise, they excel.

The smaller profile allows you to use more weight with less resistance to weeds and branches especially when flipping slop mats, they are phenomenal. The Tru Tungsten company has now come out with painted bullet weights with screw locks for plastics which is very difficult to manufacture since you can't pour tungsten like conventional lead, thus part of the increase in price. They actually press the weights when making jigs and spinner baits etc.

I know they are expensive but if you use them like I do, for flipping largemouth, then you really don't break off all that often and the weights can be reused over and over again.

JP

I used them at times, harder that lead, less pollution, and nobody seems to spend the money on them, so I got them for like a quarter a bag at the flea market. I don`t really care a lot about what mine are made of, as long as I have a mix of sizes with me. On a carolina rig I guess with a bead bumping against it you would get slightly more noise, but I don`t want the fish to hit the slip sinker.

Didn't even think about the environmental impact but feel better knowing it now. I use them because they work. I do not own a single lead worm weight anymore. Cost me a bundle, but the performance advantages make it worthwhile. The hardness also lets you read the bottom/cover/structure better.

I know I won't switch back to lead. It's not like a jighead where you might go through 50-60 in a day on break-offs. More like 20 break-offs in a season since mostly using 30 lb mono or 65 lb braid.

Charles

Brian, a 100 pack of tubes is about $30-40. A 100 pack of black nickel Gammy 4/0's tube heads is $40-50. One day this year myself and 2 guests went through over 50... For the 3-days it was over 100. So it was like losing 3-4 Megabass Vision 110s... ouch.

Try the tungstens, you'll be hooked.

Charles

I am also a fan of the Tungsten weights, like Charles and JP. said they give you a good feel of the bottom, slip through cover and weed better, and also increase hook-ups because of the smaller profile, when a bass hits it inhales the bait sinker and all, when setting often the weight, exits the fishes closed mouth so less resistance is better, Tru-Tungsten have a great line of products, and the Ikey heads are great for weedles grubs and worms.

Guest lundboy

I heard that tungsten weights are brittle and break easily if dropped or cast onto hard surfaces. Seen some in the pack cracked too at BPS. Anyone experienced any problems like this in real use?

Charles, that is why you should set the hook straight up, saves gel coat and injury :stretcher: You usually don't break off due to heavy line and most times you are shallow enough to stick your rod into the water and get the snag out, at least this cheapo does :thumbsup_anim: Only time you might bust off is on a toothy critter :whistling: Never had one break on me, John