NF Hydraulic Steering

Soft water is approaching and it's time to replace the steering on my boat. I timed it just perfectly; if I buy in the US, the exchange will kill me and if I buy in Canada, the Canadian suppliers have already jacked prices to more than compensate. ? hydraulic steering is big bucks now!

Yes it is but I will never have cables again. The ease of replacement made it easier to swallow. It took about 3 hours to do the conversion and the hardest part was removing the old stiff cables. The new ones are flexible lines that feed thru the hull area. The steering install of the pump is bolt in place. Check to see what adapters are needed for the motor. The end results where I did it at home and while it cost more than the cables it was cheaper than sending it to the shop to have them put in a set of cables.

Art

Yes it is but I will never have cables again. The ease of replacement made it easier to swallow. It took about 3 hours to do the conversion and the hardest part was removing the old stiff cables. The new ones are flexible lines that feed thru the hull area. The steering install of the pump is bolt in place. Check to see what adapters are needed for the motor. The end results where I did it at home and while it cost more than the cables it was cheaper than sending it to the shop to have them put in a set of cables.

Art

Thanks Art. I've never read anywhere that someone regretted going to hydraulic steering despite the cost. Since I won't be replacing my boat anytime soon, I might as well dive deep and spend the extra. I just got a quote this morning from a recommended US supplier of $880 USD for the Seastar Pro with 16' hoses shipped to Niagara Falls NY. That's about $1170 CDN, plus tax and the cost of crossing the border to get it. My Canadian pricing from a local marine supply has the same equipment at $2219.98 plus tax. That's a substantial difference I can't afford to absorb. I'll try to find a better price here before I pull the trigger but I doubt I'll get close.

If you ever plan to add autopilot it is a must. Luckily used boat i got had it already. It's pretty sweet and much better long term.

No autopilot in my future, but I have been eyeballing the Motorguide Xi5 trolling motors. Amazing tool for following a contour and "anchoring".

Thanks Art. I've never read anywhere that someone regretted going to hydraulic steering despite the cost. Since I won't be replacing my boat anytime soon, I might as well dive deep and spend the extra. I just got a quote this morning from a recommended US supplier of $880 USD for the Seastar Pro with 16' hoses shipped to Niagara Falls NY. That's about $1170 CDN, plus tax and the cost of crossing the border to get it. My Canadian pricing from a local marine supply has the same equipment at $2219.98 plus tax. That's a substantial difference I can't afford to absorb. I'll try to find a better price here before I pull the trigger but I doubt I'll get close.

I was looking at this myself recently and there is a slightly less expensive series than the Seastar Pro series for boats up to 150 HP. It's from the same manufacturer and the model number I was given was HK4200A. They are advertised on line for just under $800 Cdn. I haven't pulled the trigger yet so let us know which way you go and how you make out:

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/baystar/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgnXQNHDa7k

Edit: Here is a good price on the kit, $900 Cdn including shipping by US Post (which usually means no tax or duty....):

http://www.wmjmarine.com/88-6200.html

I was looking at the Lowrance Outboard autopilot and the cable steer system is about $1000 more than the hydraulic steer system so I was wondering if I should just convert to hydraulic...haven't really made up my mind whether to do it or how,

Edited by G.mech

I was looking at this myself recently and there is a slightly less expensive series than the Seastar Pro series for boats up to 150 HP. It's from the same manufacturer and the model number I was given was HK4200A. They are advertised on line for just under $800 Cdn. I haven't pulled the trigger yet so let us know which way you go and how you make out:

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/baystar/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgnXQNHDa7k

Edit: Here is a good price on the kit, $900 Cdn including shipping by US Post (which usually means no tax or duty....):

http://www.wmjmarine.com/88-6200.html

I was looking at the Lowrance Outboard autopilot and the cable steer system is about $1000 more than the hydraulic steer system so I was wondering if I should just convert to hydraulic...haven't really made up my mind whether to do it or how,

Unfortunately, since I run a 200hp, I have to go up to the HK7400.

If you get something shipped US post, will it skip through customs without brokerage and taxes?? Even at that price point?

Edited by grimsbylander

Customs seems to be a crap shoot these days. I just picked up a $388 US dollar package at the post office and customs did nothing with it. No tax collection or service fee, but last week they got me for a $50 dollar package.. so who knows.

No you will get hit with hst, no brokerage though with usps.

Customs seems to be a crap shoot these days. I just picked up a $388 US dollar package at the post office and customs did nothing with it. No tax collection or service fee, but last week they got me for a $50 dollar package.. so who knows.

Well! Instead of physically crossing the border where I'll be paying the taxes regardless, maybe I should just get it shipped to me door and save the drive! Thanks guys

It will depend on the size of your boat to see the benefits of hydraulics. I changed my rack and pinion on my 19 footer last year and it feels like power steering now. Not an easy job since I didn't take the 115HP off to do it like every marine shop said they had too, not true. Rather than try and pull the old cable I just cut in sections with a bolt cutter. Making the 90 degree turn at the gunnel and transom was the challenge. I know a guy that went to hydraulic on a smaller aluminum and he doesn't see the difference.

Irish, when they do decide to collect the taxes, how do you pay? I can't see the mailman asking for $150 cash. Cheque?

I am running the seastar set up on a 350 commanche Ranger with a 150 and it runs great.The removal of the old cables are easy as mentioned by cutting them out but to get the new cables in you need to pull the motor or really fight to get them in. The seastar fishing the 3/8 inch hydraulic cables was a breeze and the head unit was also easily put in. The bonus is you will never have a rusted hard to move cable again.

Art

I am running the seastar set up on a 350 commanche Ranger with a 150 and it runs great.The removal of the old cables are easy as mentioned by cutting them out but to get the new cables in you need to pull the motor or really fight to get them in. The seastar fishing the 3/8 inch hydraulic cables was a breeze and the head unit was also easily put in. The bonus is you will never have a rusted hard to move cable again.

Art

I disconnected the helm and cables a couple weeks ago and pulled the cables out. I tied a wire to each cable before I pulled them out so I have two wires in the gunnel I can use to pull the hoses through. I'll have to open up the hole on the console to accept the 3" helm pump...should be fun. I imagine your Ranger console is similar to mine...it must be darn near an inch thick at one spot! I hope the bolts are long enough.

Oh, and to add to the fun, I'm going to add a jackplate while I'm monkeying with it.

That I didn't know! I assume because the stem on the helm pump is different?

It depends on what you had for a steering system to begin with.

Most boats tend to use the same types of helms (Tapered 3/4" with key).

If your old system used this then the wheel should fit.

I have had dozens of packages shipped by USPS and only been dinged for taxes 1 time...not sure if it's because our local rural Post Office is kind or what but I have very good luck with even on big dollar items.....

I can't quote... but to answer Grimsby all packages with taxes and s/c require pick up at the postal outlet in our town. Mind you all packages do that won't fit in our site boxes. They take cash, cc and debit.

A small tip... when you order, put a "Grimsby enterprises C/O your name, address, etc". I have found over time that 85% of my packages addressed to a business only get nailed for 5% gst, but if they are in my name only they get hit for 13% hst 100% of the time.