Summer Family fish weekend. Input request

Hi Guys,

This year, I'll be volunteering to help run one of the events for family fishing weekend over the summer. The best part about this is the coordinators have asked me for ideas about what to present and to talk about.

I figure this forum is the best place to get ideas.

So the premise is, for the event there will be a lot of people who are fishing for the first time. A lot of people with young children and (from past experience) a lot of people who are new citizens to Canada. What messages and information do you feel are important for these people to learn about fishing? We will only have about an hour of talking before they get a chance to fish and I already have important topics covered.

- How to handle and release a fish

- How to do basic species ID

- Catch and possession limits

- Invasive species

- Fishing seasons and what is open.

Also, any ideas for games or activities are appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like a great idea!

Maybe a short history on fishing as a necessity, culture and tradition. I like to believe that our right to fish and hunt comes (and stays) from the fact that it's in our blood and DNA, not just because the lawmakers said we could do it.

The kids get little bags of stuff to keep at this event right? If so a sheet printed out with some of the basic knots to tie...

When talking about the CNR portion talk about selective harvest too and not all are keepers.

Sounds like a great idea!

Maybe a short history on fishing as a necessity, culture and tradition. I like to believe that our right to fish and hunt comes (and stays) from the fact that it's in our blood and DNA, not just because the lawmakers said we could do it.

I explain it by saying that one of the more fundamental rights a person has, is the right to procure their own food if they wish, without being forced to purchase it.. Might make a separate post to explain it in more detail. But yeah, I would include that in a presentation.

Maybe give them some websites with good fishing info also , plus I think the MNR site gives them areas they can fish from shore (Bluffers Park, the Rouge etc), explain that sometimes the best info they can get is from the small fishing stores.